PLEASE HELP: What killed almost my whole flock? 17 dead.. :( (WARNING: GRAPHIC)

I have a predator proof coop & run with a perimeter fence where my chickens free range now .Attaching chicken wire all along the bottom of the perimeter fence & running a couple strands of electric fence now. My leghorns will probably fly over it...
I plant acre half sweet corn for roadside market. I run electric fence around sweet corn. I have watched the chickens go under the fence at times and it does not seem to bother them.
Must be enough insulation from the feathers? Or they are not grounded well enough? The coon seem to find the fence though keeps them at bay.

I plant acre half sweet corn for roadside market. I run electric fence around sweet corn. I have watched the chickens go under the fence at times and it does not seem to bother them.
Must be enough insulation from the feathers? Or they are not grounded well enough? The coon seem to find the fence though keeps them at bay.
A fence like you have would work perfect in my situation.

This morning I went out to let my ladies out of their coop and found almost my entire flock dead. I had 10 Speckled Sussex hens that were 12 weeks old, 5 White Leghorns that were about 6 weeks old, 2 Bantams that were 9 weeks old, 4 Buff Orpingtons at 9 weeks old. The only survivors are 3 white leghorns and 1 Sussex - they were hiding in a bush.

The coop they were staying in is pretty well secured with no openings anywhere on the roof, sides or underneath. There is 1/2 hardware cloth everywhere. Whatever got into it seemed to open the door on the side of the coop after climbing several feet and opening a Barrel Slider Lock. The lock is hard enough for us to open since the coop is weathered and the lock kinda jams.

We have seen raccoons and possums, but i haven't seen any coyotes or foxes lately. Whatever killed them was able to climb the roof, hang down and open the tight lock, get inside and kill a bunch of them. There were several of them just dead inside the coop with wounds to their necks and bodies left intact. And a lot of them were eaten up almost entirely with only the heard, head and some feathers remaining. There were "kill zones" spread out over about a 50 foot radius with a dead chicken mauled entirely. I am thinking it was a pack of animals and not just 1 - total of 17 dead. I cant find the bodies of at least 4-5 of them but found most of what's left of the others. They were torn apart pretty savagely. I cant imagine that a pack of raccoons did this, but what else can open a barrel slider lock that's pretty tight? This is our first loss ever and its a major one :(. I will be getting a camera today to put in the area and keep an eye out.

What did this?
Will it come back again most likely to finish off the rest?
How do i kill/trap the predator in this instance?
Just horrible! I'm so very sorry. And yes I would be crying over my chickens. First thought was a pack of raccoons. Had to be more than one and they could work that bolt. I have the same kind of door but my chickens are in an enclosed coop with a automatic closing door. I hope they can't get in that too. So sorry.

Home depot doesn't have it on the shelf, but I purchased 4x100 1/4 inch hardward cloth on line shipped to my local store and I had it in two days. They keep it in a warehouse and send it with the trucks stocking regular items.

I read about a similar carnage where a lady suspected her neighbors may have stolen some of her chickens and let the others loose out of spite.After it happened a 2nd time she put up a camera and caught foxes opening the locks.

Seems like a good idea, I will be changing the locks tonight and keep an eye out. Any suggestions on deterring the coons away?
Honestly we did away with latches and have a double slide piece of wood across the door and that keeps everything out

Back
Top Bottom