Please I desperately need help chicken now has ascites

tanithcrane

Songster
6 Years
Dec 30, 2016
Hello my ex bat hen for over a week now hasn't been roosting with the other hens and the last few day she's drinking excessively and not eating she's huddled alot of the time and comb is turning purple today her abdomen feels like it is filled with fluid I've given her extra electrolytes in water and started her on a course of antibiotics but I don't know what else to do and she's getting worse very quickly can anyone give me any advice I don't want her to die 😭

I am sorry, but this sounds as if she is nearing the end of her life.
Rescue high production hens often suffer from severe issues of the reproductive system and kidneys and there is nothing one can do about it but keep them comfortable and when they start to suffer, end their misery.

One thing you could try is draining the fluids, but it only does help for some days, if at all, as the underlying issue cannot be treated:

Rescue high production hens often suffer from severe issues of the reproductive system and kidneys and there is nothing one can do about it but keep them comfortable and when they start to suffer, end their misery.

One thing you could try is draining the fluids, but it only does help for some days, if at all, as the underlying issue cannot be treated:

X2.
I had similar symptoms with two White Leghorns and for the same reason. It's terribly sad but the very kindest act is to end her suffering. I think she is at the point where there is no quality of life. :hugs
Yes. You can drain the fluid from her abdomen to relieve pressure and it may work for a short period of time but ultimately, her condition is fatal and she can't be feeling well.

OK thankyou for the reply she just seems so young she's only 3 she's in the garden at the moment and seems to have perked up after having the medicated water I gave her ille have a look at the video where would I get the equipment from to do that
Thanks again for the help

OK thankyou for the reply she just seems so young she's only 3 she's in the garden at the moment and seems to have perked up after having the medicated water I gave her ille have a look at the video where would I get the equipment from to do that
Thanks again for the help
3 is not young for a high production bird. Cranking out all those eggs from such small bodies takes a toll on them.
The commercial egg industry bred these birds for maximum egg production with minimal feed and never intended to keep them alive once they hit their first molt.

Back
Top Bottom