Status
Not open for further replies.

R.M.Qureshi

Songster
9 Years
Jun 20, 2011
Lahore , Pakistan
Dear Members,

I am trying to compile a new updated page on poopology. You are requested to please spare some of your time and participate in collection of poop pics.
I have collected some pics and information from different websites and from different posts on BYC and other forums.

To have an overview of what i am trying to do please visit the link below

http://sdrv.ms/13dxZd0

Regards
Rehan M

Rehan M.

Great start! I have a few pictures that may help you. If you'd like me to send them to you in their original size via private message, just let me know.

This Barred Rock pullet was 16 weeks old and had just 3 days before finished a 5 day treatment of Corid. She had florescent green poo (it was so bright it practically glowed in the dark) mixed with bright yellow for 2 days before this poo. I didn't take a picture of this florescent green/yellow poo but wish I had. Then, she has this poo shown below for 2 days after that, which is a much more muted and dark green. During this entire 4 day timeframe, she also showed other symptoms: lethargy (didn't run around much but no fluffing up of her feathers or any of that), pale comb amd face and lack of interest in food/water. She then made a full recovery (as far as I can tell) on her own with no additional meds or treatment. No other chickens showed any signs of illness.

Hope this helps,
Guppy

Last edited:
R.M.

I see that you added my poo to your page. However, just wondering, why did you think it was cocci? I see that you put it in that section of your poopology page. I actually thought it was some kind of toxin or poison as all the resources I read state that bright green/yellow poo is indication of some type of toxin or poison. And they just finished a full dose of Corid so I doubt that cocci was still affecting them. BUT... I truly do not know. Did you put it in the cocci section because you KNOW somehow that it was cocci?

I think this is a challenge with what you are attempting to do and even wondered how you would deal with it. How do you know where to put something (like my bright green poo) when we truly don't know what the illness was that caused the irregular poo.

Also, if you haven't seen it already, The ChickenHealth Handbook by Gail Damerow has an excellent grid of about 30 descriptions of poo and the illnesses that cause them (p. 152-153).

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this.
Guppy

Dear Guppy,

I always have few cases in every batch i hatch. I normally treat them with homeopathic medicine. E. acervulina and E.maxima cause chronic intestinal coccidiosis with no blood in droppings. Coccidia can also damage the immune system and leave poultry vulnerable to pathogens like Clostridium, Salmonella and E. coli. Bright greenish yellow poop is from E.coli in my experience and green is the bile juice from not eating. When medicine starts to act the color of the poop change to cheesy urates with excess of water.and thats whai i see in the pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom