Poison ivy

kburruano

Chirping
Dec 1, 2021
So we live in a semi wooden lot. And we are inundated with poison ivy. The previous owners created pathways around the backyard leaving Islands with trees and natural foliage and of course tons of poison ivy. Our chickens free range under our supervision. Would it be safe to spray everything with herbicide and keep the chickens away for a few days and then remove the debris or will that still cause harm to them because I am covered for the second time this season alone.

It might take longer than a few days. One time, I hired some weed people to spray organic herbicide. However they "forgot" and used something with dequat, and others, where my chickens range! I contacted the pesticide company and they said to be safe, keep them away from the sprayed area for a month. Because I was eating the eggs of the chickens. I suspect that was not a very cautious advice because a lot of that stuff stays in the ground for days, months, longer without breaking down, and then it depends on what it breaks down into. So, I'd ask the pesticide company. FWIW I used spectracide, I don't recall the formula exactly.

Poison Ivy is tough to kill out, not all herbicides work on it. There could be a lot of seeds in the ground that can sprout even if you take out the living stuff. It can come back. Birds can spread the seeds. Poison Ivy is usually not a one time battle. I wish you luck with that.

Not sure what country you are in. If you are in the USA you can contact your county extension office, they may be able to suggest what specific herbicide you should use and how to use it as safely as you can. With some herbicides it may be safe when it dries but I'd think the more effective ones will at least have a withdrawal period before you can eat eggs and probably eat the meat.

If you are not in the USA your agricultural minister office or whatever you call it may offer similar help.

If you have a specific herbicide in mind you can contact the manufacturer and see what they have to say. If they sell in the USA they should have testing results on its effects on birds and other animals but it may not specifically cover chickens.

Back
Top Bottom