Polish chick chirping constantly

LynMcLean

Songster
14 Years
Jun 24, 2009
Michigan
Two days ago I bought two polish chicks. One chick has hardly stopped distress chirping since. The temperature is around 90°F. I put their food in the blender in case the crumbles were too big and saw it eat and have a full crop. I saw it take a drink too. It also scratches and pecks around but not as much as the other one. Poops look normal.
The only times it's not chirping it's little head off is when it's sleeping, eating, drinking, or pecking its or the other chicks feathers.
Could it have imprinted on something and is missing it? Or does it sound like a health problem?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/chirping-chick.7956774/

Is the whole brooder 90F? If it is, then make only one side that warm, let the rest be cool. Place food/water on the cool end.

Vent is clean?

How about crop - is it emptying? I know it's hard to gauge crop function when they have a light on 24/7, but see if that's the issue.

Some chicks no matter what you do can seem to chirp a lot.
You can also try placing a soft piece of cloth in the brooder for them to snuggle in or stuffed animal.
Possible that if the chick was with a lot of others and is now with just one, it may be calling the others and will just have to adjust to it being the 2 of them.

The brooder is 90 on on side and cooler on the other.
Vent is clean, no pasty butt. I think the crop is emptying, but it's hard to tell.
I'll try the cloth/stuffed animal thing. I'm hoping that it is that it's missing the others and will adjust.

The brooder is 90 on on side and cooler on the other.
Vent is clean, no pasty butt. I think the crop is emptying, but it's hard to tell.
I'll try the cloth/stuffed animal thing. I'm hoping that it is that it's missing the others and will adjust.
Let us know if the cloth or stuffed animal helps.

Cute little things aren't they!

I put a towel in the brooder and they investigated it but didn't snuggle it. This morning when I got up it was quiet. I checked on them and heard little happy chirps. Finally lol. I guess it was just missing everyone. I've never had a chick chirp that much for so long before.
I'm not sure if the towel did it but I'm going to leave it in there for a while.

I put a towel in the brooder and they investigated it but didn't snuggle it. This morning when I got up it was quiet. I checked on them and heard little happy chirps. Finally lol. I guess it was just missing everyone. I've never had a chick chirp that much for so long before.
I'm not sure if the towel did it but I'm going to leave it in there for a while.
I'm glad things settled down and you hear happy sounds now!
Good news for sure:)

Back
Top Bottom