Polish Chicken getting its head feathers pulled out

creedatticus

Songster
Apr 16, 2022
Provo, Utah
Hi! We have 9 chickens and one of them is a polish chicken with a big bald spot on the top of her head that keeps getting biger. Is there anything we can do to stop the other chickens from hurting her? It looks so painful! And when they pull the feathers out, she doesn't stop them, she just sits there and lets the other girls pull her feathers out. I'll attach a picture, any tips welcome!
tempImage1asbrn.png

Thank you guys!

Hi! We have 9 chickens and one of them is a polish chicken with a big bald spot on the top of her head that keeps getting biger. Is there anything we can do to stop the other chickens from hurting her? It looks so painful! And when they pull the feathers out, she doesn't stop them, she just sits there and lets the other girls pull her feathers out. I'll attach a picture, any tips welcome!
View attachment 3609915
Thank you guys!
I would first identify those doing this to her and then either separate them from her from them. There are products that you can use to protect her head and make it blue instead of pink, but I don't think that's going to work in your situation. I've always pulled the aggressive one out if they were out of line, but in your case, it sounds like it's multiple.

I've heard some have great success with these peepers. I looked them up for you and found one such source, but there are many. Otherwise, I'd separate her and give her high-protein food/treats for a few weeks to help her grow those back. I've put Desitin Diaper Rash Ointment on a badly molting chicken before, as it helps heal and moisturize when raw like that.

https://www.amazon.com/DSSPORT-Phea...8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Back
Top Bottom