Poop advice!

sierrathomp

Hatching
Dec 13, 2023
Seeking some advice! My Rhode Island Red (about 18 months) recently has started pooping like this! I’ve had chickens all my life and have been relatively lucky to have healthy hens, but have never seen poop like this before. I’ve tried googling and think it’s potentially Necrotic Entritis? Has anyone had any experience with this disease and treatment? Where is the best place to get medication? They have a healthy balanced diet but something must’ve triggered this. I’ve been washing her behind gently so it doesn’t get all caked up and noticed she’s losing feathers as well but it could just be her turn to molt. Thanks for any help!
IMG_3928.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3927.jpeg
    IMG_3927.jpeg
    678.8 KB · Views: 2
You don't say what there actually eating or if they free range in the yard. It's like giving a vague description of something your fully aware of.

Description of all food and activities with the chicken needs to be included.

You don't say what there actually eating or if they free range in the yard. It's like giving a vague description of something your fully aware of.

Description of all food and activities with the chicken needs to be included.
They eat 16% layer crumble with oyster Shells and chicken grit mixed in. Scratch every couple of days with kitchen veggie and fruit scraps as well. Some meal worms and soldier worms occasionally as a treat! Free range in my yard but nothing has changed about what they’re eating out there! None of the other chickens are showing any symptoms of illness!

Not sure how much help this is - I can't quite tell on the picture, but if the poop looks kind of like coffee grounds and you get it wet and put it on a white paper and it shows up red it likely is internal bleeding of some sort. If it is Necrotic Entritis I think you pretty much need antibiotics.

Not sure how much help this is - I can't quite tell on the picture, but if the poop looks kind of like coffee grounds and you get it wet and put it on a white paper and it shows up red it likely is internal bleeding of some sort. If it is Necrotic Entritis I think you pretty much need antibiotics.
This is very helpful! I will try this tomorrow! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom