Poop Board Tips

Sure.

This is the definition that I used in my article on Deep Bedding:

Deep Bedding: A dry, non-composting system where you keep adding bedding to the coop as it becomes soiled -- managing it by turning it as necessary (or getting the chickens to turn it for you) -- and clean it out only infrequently when the bedding has become both thoroughly soiled and piled up to the point of not being able to add more. Usually used above a floor in the coop but *can* be done in a covered run over dirt in a favorable climate.
Deep Litter: A moist (not wet, moist), system where the lower layers of material are actively composting while new, dry material is continually added to the top. *Can* be done on any floor surface but is most readily accomplished on a dirt floor because the dirt will seed the material with the beneficial composting organisms.

I haven't been following this thread since I don't use poop boards and figured that I had no useful input on them. :)
What exactly is happening with deep bedding if it’s non-composting? Aren’t microorganisms still working?

Deep Bedding is too dry for microorganisms to work.

It functions by drying out the poop too rapidly to allow odor to develop or flies to be attracted.
What if someone WANTS compost in their coop/run—do you have to keep it moist and does it therefore stink and attract flies? I’m wanting to out down sand and my husband is intrigued with the concept of chickens feeding off of organisms in compost.

What if someone WANTS compost in their coop/run—do you have to keep it moist and does it therefore stink and attract flies? I’m wanting to out down sand and my husband is intrigued with the concept of chickens feeding off of organisms in compost.

Deep LITTER, as opposed to Deep BEDDING, is a moist, actively-composting system. Two different things.

For Deep Litter you need an appropriate ratio of nitrogen-rich poop, carbon-rich organic materials (straw, wood chips, dry leaves, etc), and enough moisture to support the growth of the composting organisms without being too soggy.

It also needs to be loose enough to allow air to penetrate. Usually you can harness chicken-power to keep it fluffed by tossing a little scratch into the bedding to encourage them to work it over but sometimes you need to get in there with a pitchfork yourself -- especially under the roosts.

I find that straw and leaves are prone to packing, matting, and forming anaerobic pockets if not well attended too.

Generally, it's easier to use Deep Bedding in the coop -- especially in a raised coop with a floor -- and to use Deep Litter in the run where it has ground contact and gets wet when it rains.

If a Deep Litter system gets too soggy or has too many chickens for the volume of litter it can have odor or fly problems. The former issue can *usually* be solved by adding more litter. The latter *might* be solved by adding more litter or *might* require that you expand the space available to decrease the chicken density. :)

Back
Top Bottom