Poop proofing

Annawhi

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2023
Hi all, I couldn't find any info on this idea and thought I would ask opinions. I'm trying to keep the girls clean and their poop just soaks into perches and their ramp. I was thinking of making new ones coated with epoxy resin. (Used it in lizard habitats and it worked awesome). They say after it cures it pretty much food safe and the poop wouldn't soak in. Any thoughts? Is it an aweful idea?

I agree with the above that you have to be very careful with making sure the roosts and ramp aren't to slippery. That being said, I did use an animal safe paint and painted the inside of my coop including the roosts I built. The ramp isn't painted and has wood pieces at intervals so they get good traction on it.(i take the ramp out and scrub it down when it gets too dirty). mine roost is a 3 step style and 2x4 laid on side so they roost on the 4" side and I haven't had any issues. They have a wide enough surface that they can easily walk on it with no slipping. Whenever I scrub them down I just make sure it's all dry before I let them back in. You can kind of see the roosts and ramp in the picture.
coop inner door.JPG

I had a similar thought process, but nothing seemed safe enough. Take a stiff metal scraper to any larger pieces, and just let the wood "patina"! 🤢😛
Thank you. I feel like people think it's dumb that I wanna keep them clean and everything clean. I know poo is always gunna be there but it's nice if it's easier to clean.

Back
Top Bottom