Poop question

msmithrdh

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2023
Can someone give me advice on what my hen may need? She’s lethargic, pale comb, off by herself. Her poop is yellow and green. The yellow is runny (not watery) and the green is somewhat formed.
I’ve given electrolytes and poultry cell, will be separating her as soon as I’m home from work.

Attachments

• 8348BAB6-C74F-4E8E-B193-27DD7D55DD93.jpeg
    8348BAB6-C74F-4E8E-B193-27DD7D55DD93.jpeg
    591.5 KB · Views: 40
How old is she? Does she lay eggs or has she in awhile? Has she molted this Fall? What does she eat? Can you look her skin over under the vent and elsewhere for any lice or mites. The pale comb may be due to not laying eggs. Green in the poop is from not eating much. Has she lost weight in her breast area, and does she have any enlargement or fullness of her lower belly between her legs? And lastly, how does her crop feel? Is it filling with food with water during the day, then emptying by early morning? Have you tried getting her to eat some mushy wet chicken feed, and maybe offering a little scrambled egg? The vitamins could possibly cause the yellow fluid in her dropping, but that could be from infection or ascites. Hard to know.

How old is she? Does she lay eggs or has she in awhile? Has she molted this Fall? What does she eat? Can you look her skin over under the vent and elsewhere for any lice or mites. The pale comb may be due to not laying eggs. Green in the poop is from not eating much. Has she lost weight in her breast area, and does she have any enlargement or fullness of her lower belly between her legs? And lastly, how does her crop feel? Is it filling with food with water during the day, then emptying by early morning? Have you tried getting her to eat some mushy wet chicken feed, and maybe offering a little scrambled egg? The vitamins could possibly cause the yellow fluid in her dropping, but that could be from infection or ascites. Hard to
Thank you so much for your reply!!
She is about 20 weeks old, not laying yet but should be any day. She eats Kalmbach feeds 16% poultry maintainer and I provide oyster shells for them to take as they need. They do free range in the evenings and on weekends (when I am home). I have not visually checked her vent yet but she does not feel egg-bound to me, her abdomen and between her legs feel normal, and her crop feels normal to me as well.
She does feel like she may have lost some weight but not a huge amount (yet). I just started the vitamins last night which was after I noticed the yellow and green poop.
I keep reading about both worms and egg peritonitis when googling images of what her poop looks like. I'm just not sure what to do for her. We do not have a poultry vet near us.

Back
Top Bottom