Poopy eggs!

CalliBee

Songster
Mar 27, 2022
I am wanting to start selling my eggs, and have a few takers, but how do y’all recommend cleaning them?
Me, personally, I don’t clean them until I’m ready to use them, but for those who don’t care to know the truth of how messy chickens can be, what do y’all suggest?

I’d like to add, it isn’t the chickens that are making a mess on my eggs- it’s my ducks that lay in the same nests

If you can add some higher nest boxes for the chickens, they may prefer them to the low ones the ducks use.
I use lots of straw in mine and the chickens live to re-arange it perfectly as they get ready to lay.
Just a thought.
I have tons of nesting boxes, high and low, but the hens will only lay wherever my ducks lay! I’m guessing the ducks just make cozy nesting is my only guess.
It’s funny because if my ducks switch up their usual spot, the hens will follow suit. Never fails

I just rinse mine under cold water and use my fingers to wipe them off, let dry. I sometimes have some pretty muddy/poopy eggs. I have then dipped dirty hatching eggs with 1 tsp of 7.5% bleach per 2 cups of water for 1 minute and they hatched just fine. You could go that route if germs bother you.

I just rinse mine under cold water
Eggs should be washed in 'water warmer than the egg'.

Simple physics, using colder water will cause the egg contents to contract, causing any 'germs' on exterior surface of egg shell to be pulled into the interior of egg thru the shell pores. Using warmer water will do the opposite.

I don't use any soap or other cleaning/sanitizing agent, just rotate in my hands to 'scrub' all surfaces area of egg shell. Then I air and towel dry before placing in the fridge.

If you are washing eggs for sale to the general public, other requirements may apply, so check your state regulations.

We avoid letting the eggs get dirty by changing the nest bedding (soft fine hay) often.
When they do get dirty, sometimes we wash them, but mostly we just cook them up for the chickens.
* I'm using the royal "we", my mom is the egg manager.

Back
Top Bottom