Poorly Bantam died this morning, worried about the others

SkoomaD

Hatching
May 5, 2021
Hi,

Hoping someone has had a similar experience or has any advice. So probably a week ago one of our 1 year old Pekin Bantams started to seem a bit sulky and wouldn't come out of the coop all that often. At first we didn't think too much too it as two others are being broody at the moment so we assumed she was the same. She would come out for maybe an hour or so and then go back in.
However a few days later we knew something wasn't right when she had a really runny yellow poo with green bits in it.
We moved her indoors to keep an eye on her. Visually she looked OK and was still drinking plenty, but would only eat a small amount. We always put apple cyder vinegar in the water to try ward off any parasites, and we started to give her some worming powder in her feed but I fear if it was something like that it was too little too late.
There were no signs of blood in the poo. She did seem a little unsteady on her feet and struggled to eat almost like she had lost a bit of her dexterity.

We are gutted, she seemed to wait to see us both this morning and then passed away as we held her :( She sort of twisted her head back gasping and that was it. I wouldn't have said she had difficulty breathing prior to this moment but it is hard to say.

We are obviously concerned about the other three. One is still in lay and the other are broody, but seem OK and to be pooing normally when they are out and about. The thing is if one of the others comes down with it I want to take the right course of action to try and prevent a further death. They are all now eating layers mash with the worming powder in, it's difficult to feed them it as when they are out and about they do forage a lot in the garden but I think we will need to keep them in the run for a week to force them to eat it.

Any advice or thoughts on the cause are welcome. I thought about Coccidiosis but no blood in the poo so is it likely? Broken egg maybe? Really feel at a loss with it.

I have enquired about an autopsy at a couple of local vets and am waiting for some calls back, but I think it's unlikely they will help me out. (Based in North Yorkshire in the UK BTW).

Cheers,

Danny

Currently it is illegal to let chickens run free in the garden in the UK and I'd say for a good reason.
Maybe it was just bad luck and I think keeping all UK chickens in quarantine is getting ridiculous by now, half a year already but the avian flu is still circulating so all chickens have to be kept indoors or covered.

Yeah I'm, hoping the local farm vet can help, while I don't want her cut up really it's preferable to the others getting it and me not knowing what it is so I can help.

We have Flubenvet that we have started giving them a couple of days ago. We have tried in the past and It's just difficult as they seem to be fussy eaters and seem to ignore their feed in favour of foraging or trying to eat any bird food that might have dropped off one of the feeders. They wont eat things like VermX pellets either.

Is there something preferable to ACV? Is it actually worth bothering with, thought it was a decent pro-biotic at least? I know you can get the VermX in a liquid.

Currently it is illegal to let chickens run free in the garden in the UK and I'd say for a good reason.
Maybe it was just bad luck and I think keeping all UK chickens in quarantine is getting ridiculous by now, half a year already but the avian flu is still circulating so all chickens have to be kept indoors.
They were kept in while the ban was in place. Isn't it lifted now? No Symptoms of Flu either.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/avian-influenza-bird-flu-national-prevention-zone-declared

Update: managed to get her to local farm vets and they did a necropsy and found that the cause of death was tumours on her liver that spread to her gizzard. The vet had never come across it before and has sent the liver off for diagnosis at a lab to see what they can make of it. I'm just hoping its nothing contagious at this point, hopefully find out in the next couple of days. 😢

Back
Top Bottom