Possible broken wing on a turkey?

TheBirdLady2001

Songster
Oct 11, 2016
Windsor, Ontario, CA
3FCE68A3-0111-430A-B4B1-B185FB36220A.jpeg
FE6B3AF0-6EF6-4798-B328-6C97969775B4.jpeg
I have a young turkey about 3 months old. I came home from vacation (my parents were taking care of her) and when I got home she seemed lathargic and not her usual self. I noticed one of her wings seemed be to hanging really low, and when I looked at it the tip of her wing moved around really easily. I think she may have broken the end of her wing. My parents said they didn’t see anything happen. There’s no blood or anything. Should I try to make a split for her? Is it even broken?

With the help of another person I would carefully examine her to make sure that the bone has not perforated the skin leading to fly strike. It's hard to immobilize the wing of a large bird. Sometimes if the break is not a 'simple' break it is better to remove the wing. Any possibility of having an avian vet look at her ?

Edited to say I just posted this, then saw Sourland’s post. He is more familiar with large birds than I am.

Can she flap her wings when you watch her for a period of time? Is she eating and drinking enough, or getting overheated? Have you seen any runny droppings? I would give her some Poultry NutriDrench orally 1 ml per every 3 pounds, or put some electroltes and vitamins in her water, and make sure that she drinks. The NutriDrench is good for a quick boost though. I am not very familiar with turkeys, so I would also post on the turkey forum as well. Here is a link about splinting a wing with a figure 8 bandage, but make sure that the wing is actually broken, and not just hanging low to another cause:
http://www.starlingtalk.com/fractures.htm

With the help of another person I would carefully examine her to make sure that the bone has not perforated the skin leading to fly strike. It's hard to immobilize the wing of a large bird. Sometimes if the break is not a 'simple' break it is better to remove the wing. Any possibility of having an avian vet look at her ?
I don’t think there is an avain vet anywhere close to me. But I was looking at her wing and I can’t see any bones sticking out.

Wings are complicated structures to try to splint. I have actually had a turkey drag it's wing like this before, the problem eventually corrected itself but it took a couple of months. If your bird is eating and drinking, my vote is to leave it be for now. It could also be a tendon or muscle, it's so hard to tell. Sometimes though, doing nothing is the best thing.

Did your turkey get the wing caught in fencing?

Wings are complicated structures to try to splint. I have actually had a turkey drag it's wing like this before, the problem eventually corrected itself but it took a couple of months. If your bird is eating and drinking, my vote is to leave it be for now. It could also be a tendon or muscle, it's so hard to tell. Sometimes though, doing nothing is the best thing.

Did your turkey get the wing caught in fencing?
We don’t really have fencing for the wing to get caught on. We have very sturdy chicken wire, and the squares are less then 1/2 in. Big. Other then that she roams free during the day. She is eating and drinking fine, just doesn’t seem like her normal self.

View attachment 1477700 View attachment 1477702 I have a young turkey about 3 months old. I came home from vacation (my parents were taking care of her) and when I got home she seemed lathargic and not her usual self. I noticed one of her wings seemed be to hanging really low, and when I looked at it the tip of her wing moved around really easily. I think she may have broken the end of her wing. My parents said they didn’t see anything happen. There’s no blood or anything. Should I try to make a split for her? Is it even broken?
View attachment 1477700 View attachment 1477702 I have a young turkey about 3 months old. I came home from vacation (my parents were taking care of her) and when I got home she seemed lathargic and not her usual self. I noticed one of her wings seemed be to hanging really low, and when I looked at it the tip of her wing moved around really easily. I think she may have broken the end of her wing. My parents said they didn’t see anything happen. There’s no blood or anything. Should I try to make a split for her? Is it even broken?
Did it ever get better by itself? Currently have a Turkey with the same problem

Back
Top Bottom