Possible Broody?

TheBrumstead

Songster
8 Years
May 9, 2011
Hobart, IN
I have 4 hens, no rooster. My 2 1/2 year old Appenzeller had to be kicked out of the nest box (covered cat litter box) yesterday so I could get eggs, she was sitting on 3. She just fluffed up, but was fine when I put her down, acted normal. Today, she was sitting on 2, and there was one in the coop, so I'm guessing she wouldn't let someone in the box. I picked her up, put her down, and she started going after everyone, running around the pen, making noises I've never heard before. My dog, a 145 lb Rottweiler, came over to see what was going on and she charged the fence at the dog! She carried on for about 15 minutes, then went back into the coop, into the nest box.

She was on the roost tonight. I thought broodies stayed on the nest nearly 24/7? Is this broody or just possessive for some reason? I got her a few months ago and she's never acted like this. What can I do? I can't have her kicking everyone out of the nest box and coop.

She's probably broody. Most broody hens will take about 20 minutes off the nest each day, to stretch, eat, and drink. But on the other hand, some will only take breaks every few days. If you don't want her to go broody (she'll stop laying when she does) you should just continue to take her eggs away, or put her in a broody coop (search it for more info) until she stops. Most hens will learn to let you reach under them, but others are very aggressive. You can even go out and practice sticking your hand under her a few times a day to teach her good habits. If you do let her set, I would set up an extra box for the other girls.

Best of Luck! ~Ms. B

Last edited:
When I let them out this morning, another hen was in the box. I have a chicken wire box that I use for grazing that I can put her in temporarily. I hestitate to leave them out there unattended in it since it's not predator proof. No point in letting her set... no rooster, no chicks.

Yeah, not having a rooster would make it kind of pointless lol

How big is the box, and would you be able to move it into the coop?

I have about 30 nest boxes for my 24 laying hens, so when I have a broody I can usually block up the nest box she wants, and that will solve the problem, other times they just climb in another one. But, then again, if you only have one box, this won't do much good. Some broody hens (like yours) are smart enough to let another hen in the box so that they'll have more eggs. If she isn't very high on the pecking order she might just let the other hens get in the box anyways, and it wouldn't really be a problem.

Most broody hens are going to just continue to want to go broody for the rest of their lives, so you should probably get some more boxes, so that there's room for everyone. And if you really don't want to deal with a hen that is going to continue to do this, you might just have to re-home her to somewhere where she might be of more use. You'd be surprised how many people are looking for broodies and foster mamas.

Hope it all works out for the best! ~ Ms.B

Oh, and sometimes hens will just give up after you take their eggs away for so long. One of my recurring broodies only sets for 21 days then gets off, chick or no chick. Others will set for months. Once one of my cornishes went missing for two months. I found her in the barn, on one egg. I kept taking it away from her, but she always got another one and was trying for almost 4 months. Then my dog took her egg and scared her enough that she got off. So you might be able to break your hens will by just taking her eggs away.

Back
Top Bottom