Possible bumblefoot -alternative to antibiotic cream ?

ManueB

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Sep 15, 2021
Daluis, 06 France
Blanche, my three years old ex-batt was limping from the right leg this morning. I saw no distinctive swelling under the foot but her cushion sole was very hot. I couldn't see any injury or scab. The front of her leg may be very slightly swollen where the foot is attached.

We bathed her foot in warm water with betadine for 15 mn which seems to give her some relief for a few hours. She is limping again now or more precisely tiptoeing.
I've read on multiple sources to bandage the foot with triple antibiotic cream / ointment but this doesn't exist where I live. Is there an alternative type of product I could use , should I just bandage with nothing after cleaning her foot and bathing with betadine ? I haven't bandaged her for now.

Here are some pictures. They are not good but it's difficult to take more as she hated being held.
IMG_20221109_105733.jpg

IMG_20221109_105729.jpg

IMG_20221109_150616.jpg

I would really appreciate any advice. Please excuse possible language mistakes, English being my second language.

What do you use on yourself if you have a cut or abrasion? A lot of products we use on ourselves can be used on chickens.

BUT, since you have Betadine (Povidone Iodine?) you can make Sugardine to use on her foot. It is just white sugar mixed with Betadine. This is used in wound care for animals and humans.

If you don't have an ointment, that's o.k. Since the soaking seems to give her some relief, then I'd soak her like you're doing. Dry the foot, then wrap. If it's tender, then give her a bit of cushion with a small square of gauze, corn pad or moleskin (not sure what you call these products in France:)) then wrap the foot. For me, I like to use the self sticking wrap that's called Coban/Sports Wrap/Vet Wrap, I wrap the foot and go up the leg to around the spur bud or so, this way it stays on pretty well, then I let the hen go on her way. Change wrappings at least daily. You do want it to stay relatively dry, so if she's been out all day and it get soiled or wet, then it would be a good idea to give her dry fresh wrappings for the night when roosting. If that makes sense.

@coach723 made a post and posted a video of how to make Sugardine. She also may want to chime in with some tips and suggestions about caring for your hen's foot.

The scales on the back of your hen's leg are a little raised, hard to tell if they are the same on the front?

Not sure sugardine would be helpful here, but it certainly would do no harm. She may have caught a toe or landed hard and just sprained/strained something. Daily soaks with epsom salts would probably be helpful for pain and swelling. Mostly it may just need time. Sugardine or antibacterial creams work best on wounds, scrapes, cuts, something that is open. If the swelling gets worse, or it starts to blister or scab, then they would be more likely to help. Sugardine is good for killing bacteria and preventing it's growth, and will draw out some infection.
I would use some coconut oil or petrolium jelly on the raised scales on the back of the legs, in case it's early mites, but it may be from rubbing on roosts or something else irritating them since it seems to only be on the back. The oil or jelly will sooth and moisturize. Both my personal dermatologist and general doctor are recommending petroleum jelly over many first aid ointments these days for minor skin issues.
The video on sugardine is in this thread, post #8:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bumblefoot-not-healing.1443809/#post-23973555

Thank you both very much for the information. I'll continue with the soaking and get some proper bandage for her tomorrow. I have coconut oil on hand and Vaseline I can use for her scale. I'll update in a few days !

Good news for Blanche. She is not limping anymore, her feet are now both the same temperature. It seems I panicked for nothing and she probably just hurt herself a little. I will keep checking on her and thank you both again for the information about sugardine- I know it will come in helpful at some point.

Back
Top Bottom