Possible bumblefoot?

TimD

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2024
Hi there. I noticed this on one of my hens and wonder if it’s bumblefoot. It’s on the top of her foot and everything I’ve seen on YouTube and other sites shows it on the bottom so I was just wondering if this could be bumblefoot?

Attachments

• IMG_4528.jpeg
    IMG_4528.jpeg
    295.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4526.jpeg
    IMG_4526.jpeg
    527.5 KB · Views: 16
I would treat it with either Prid or sugar and Betadine paste plus a dressing for a few days. It is bumblefoot, and you can use the above treatment, or soak her foot in warm Epsom salts water for several day. Eventually you will want to open the scab and try to squeeze out any pus inside. Then apply a Neosporin dressing. Change that every few days.

I would treat it with either Prid or sugar and Betadine paste plus a dressing for a few days. It is bumblefoot, and you can use the above treatment, or soak her foot in warm Epsom salts water for several day. Eventually you will want to open the scab and try to squeeze out any pus inside. Then apply a Neosporin dressing. Change that every few days.
Thank you for the info! I’ll start tomorrow.

Thank you for the info! I’ll start tomorrow.

I have another question. I live in upstate NY and the temps are below freezing for the next few days. I’m worried about bringing her in to soak her foot then putting her back outside. I know I wouldn’t keep her inside as that would be detrimental to her but I was wondering if I should wait till next week to start soaking when the daytime temps will be a little above freezing? I’m afraid the skin on the soaked foot that will be softened from the water could be damaged putting her back out in 15 degree temp. Just wondered what you thought about this? Thank you

I have another question. I live in upstate NY and the temps are below freezing for the next few days. I’m worried about bringing her in to soak her foot then putting her back outside. I know I wouldn’t keep her inside as that would be detrimental to her but I was wondering if I should wait till next week to start soaking when the daytime temps will be a little above freezing? I’m afraid the skin on the soaked foot that will be softened from the water could be damaged putting her back out in 15 degree temp. Just wondered what you thought about this? Thank you
I would wait until the weather is milder.

Back
Top Bottom