Possible cataract or ???

OldFashionedSugarCone

In the Brooder
Nov 14, 2022
Hi, my young leghorn has one eye that is now opaque, like a cataract. It seemed to happen very quickly, and she spent about a week isolating herself when the other hens walked around or free ranged. She also stopped laying. There is no discharge coming out of her eye or any other obvious inflammation or wounds. Just a pupil that now looks white. I originally thought that maybe she got scratched by another chicken and it was some sort of corneal abrasion.
I ended up isolating her in a separate coop for a few weeks and giving her extra vitamins. She did not appear to have a fever. She can see out of her other eye and she was eating and drinking normally. Her poop looks normal as well. After a few weeks, I integrated her with the other chickens and she’s hanging around with the group and free ranging as usual. But she is still not laying and her pupil is still milky white. Other than that, she’s just acting like her usual self.
She does not appear to be in pain, and her comb looks pretty normal.
Any ideas of what this could be, if it needs further treatment, and when she will start laying again? Thanks, everyone.

Do you have a photo of the eye? Cataracts are a cloudiness of the lens which you should only see in the dark spot/pupil of the eye. If the entire eye is white, she may have been poked on the eye, got an infection in it or some such thing happened to damage the eye to cause it to turn all white.

Do you have a photo of the eye? Cataracts are a cloudiness of the lens which you should only see in the dark spot/pupil of the eye. If the entire eye is white, she may have been poked on the eye, got an infection in it or some such thing happened to damage the eye to cause it to turn all white.
I’ll try to get a photo tomorrow when she’s awake for the day. But it really is just the pupil, like a cataract typically looks. It’s not the entire eye. She actually did lay an egg today for the first time in about a month, so that’s a good sign, I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom