Possible Fracture or Break (Sick BCM Roo)?

Jan 4, 2022
Hi BYC—

This is Sir Robin.

(pict below, I cannot figure out how to place in-line)

He is a seven-month old Black Copper Maran who, if not the bravest roo in our flock, is certainly the most handsome. He was quite the vocal young rascal and ladies man shortly after he grew up.

Unfortunately, he is not feeling so well right now.

On the last day of 2021, I found our dashing young retreater hobbling awkwardly around the yard. He was having trouble walking, and was using his wings to support limited leg movement. He did not want to move, unless it was for food (food is the only thing in his life worth leading a charge). Everyone else seemed fine, and continued free-ranging oblivious to his problem.

I quickly scooped him up, cutting off an awkward attempt to run away, and carefully checked him over. I did not see any obvious signs of physical damage or illness. I did suspect he may have been trampled, as the coop he was in had a (now removed) shelving unit that sometimes limited movement if everyone got excited and pressed against the door in the morning. I also removed his leg band, just in case that was causing him a problem (it was not tight, however).

I put him back down and watched him for a while. He was certainly interested in food, hobbling over to get his fair share. But he was clearly troubled.

I gave him two drops of Poultry Nutri Drench (the yellow bottle), for which he did not want to cooperate. (Of all the fights he could pick, it was the supplement!) I put him back down to observe him again.

After watching on and off for several hours, and discussing with a friend who dropped by and has kept chickens before, I decided to put him in semi isolation for his own safety, as he was certainly unable to fight or flee (well, mostly flee). I scooped him up again and walked him to the brooder in the house, as currently occupied by a few chicks. Their waterers have Rooster Booster, which could only help, as could the heater. After a moment, he arranged himself alongside one wall. He held himself upright, but with both legs awkwardly thrust out to the side. He readily attacked a small pile of scratch I put near him. He continued to show appetite, including defending his food against a too-brave chick, as well as to drink.

The next day two of his hens visited him, and one of them must have offended him – because he put on a proper rooster dominance display and sent her fleeing for the door. I was pleased, as it meant he had energy. He continued to eat and drink with gusto.

It is now 2 1/2 days later, and he unfortunately shows no signs of improvement. In fact, he starting to get iffy about food now, though he still drinks when offered. He even passed on some diced tomato last night.

Meanwhile, all the other members of the flock, including the animals he arrived with and the other marans, continue to go about their chicken lives with no signs of trouble.

Would anyone have any suggestions? I have spoken with two other chicken keepers in the area, in addition to my friend, as well as two local feed stores, and no one had any real solutions except observation, supplements, and maybe a dose of generic antibiotics. (One did suggest trying to put him in a sling to suspend him slightly off the floor, but I’m not sure how he would take that.) I've been wondering about a painkiller, in case it's a fracture.

Side note: he, as with all the other chickens in the flock, is vaxxed against Marek’s.

On behalf of Sir Robin the (Selectively) Brave, thank you for your time.

Attachments

• Sir Robin 01-01.jpg
    Sir Robin 01-01.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 6
He is handsome.

At 7 months of age, I would consider Marek's disease as a possibility. The vaccine doesn't prevent infection from the virus, it only helps prevent formation of tumors.
Getting an xray would reveal if this is a break.

Off supportive care that include B2 (Riboflavin). See that he's eating his normal feed, that his crop is emptying overnight. Check for lice/mites and swelling of legs/joints/feet.

Some birds tolerate a sling while others will fight it. If he fights it, he could injure himself.

Back
Top Bottom