Possible Hatching Emergency...advice needed.

I’ve only incubated “upright” with shipped eggs in an incubator. But what is supposed to happen is the air cell at the ‘blunt’ end draws down to one side in the last few days so it looks slanted. The chick is supposed to internally pip into the air cell at the low end/dipped down part. You should be able to just make out a shadow triangle and breathing motions but not too much else. Chick should externally pip by a day later and then finally unzip and emerge by a day after that (or sooner). During the time between pups and zip the chick is finishing absorbing back in the blood and yolk. If the hen doesn’t want to sit anymore, I’ve heard people putting together emergency incubators - like a heat source, humidity and you need a thermometer, in a closed up container (well a little circulation)
thanks. We have a heating pad ready which can be moistened. I'm flying blind though. What is the temp I'm shooting for? I think at least a few of these chicks are about ready.

Well, 🤔 for an incubator it needs to be 99.5 and humidity as high as you can get. At least around 60%. I think it is 100.5 for still-air incubators? I’m wondering if you are using a heating pad though, that maybe you should rotate just a little? I feel like the part of the eggs on the heat pad will get warm but the top colder? I’m just speculating though.

Well, 🤔 for an incubator it needs to be 99.5 and humidity as high as you can get. At least around 60%. I think it is 100.5 for still-air incubators? I’m wondering if you are using a heating pad though, that maybe you should rotate just a little? I feel like the part of the eggs on the heat pad will get warm but the top colder? I’m just speculating though.
TY. Mom pushed the eggs back under her so hopefully things go smoothly from here

Back
Top Bottom