Possible Illness

connorman

Hatching
Oct 24, 2023
Hello all,

I just started raising chickens on my own starting in April. For the past 4-5 months I've had a chicken die about once every 4-6 weeks. The symptoms seem to be the same. At first I thought I had an egg bound hen but then about a month later had another one die and so on. Just now have a rooster that I'm guessing won't make it. They all start lymping/hobbling and then eventually don't move, close their eyes and are gone in about 2-3 days. Some eat and drink and some dont.

Anyone know what this could be? I'm worried it could be Mareks but thought if it was, a lot more would die a lot more quickly. Appreciate any help.

Hello all,

I just started raising chickens on my own starting in April. For the past 4-5 months I've had a chicken die about once every 4-6 weeks. The symptoms seem to be the same. At first I thought I had an egg bound hen but then about a month later had another one die and so on. Just now have a rooster that I'm guessing won't make it. They all start lymping/hobbling and then eventually don't move, close their eyes and are gone in about 2-3 days. Some eat and drink and some dont.

Anyone know what this could be? I'm worried it could be Mareks but thought if it was, a lot more would die a lot more quickly. Appreciate any help.
Welcome To BYC

Can you please post photos of your rooster and his poop?
Where are you located in the world?
What do you feed, including treats?

It's hard to know if Marek's is the cause of the decline in your flock without testing. If you do lose another, then sending the body to your State Lab will give you information.

What treatments, if any have you administered to your sick birds - have you treated for worms, Coccidiosis, given antibiotics, vitamin therapy, etc.?

Check your feed to make sure it's fresh and in date, that is has not gotten moldy. Look around to see if your birds have been eating moldy or rotten food that has been spilled, or if they have access to compost, then block that off.

For the rooster, not sure what you can do, but I'd try to make sure he's drinking and try to get him to eat something. Work on hydration first, you can give sugar water or electrolytes, then offer wet soupy feed.
While you are giving him supportive care, check him over for lice and mites, feel his crop and tell us what is feels like. Do look him over for any injuries/scabbing of the skin under feathers, etc.

Back
Top Bottom