Possible issue

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
I noticed 3 days ago that our 2 yr Buff Orpington hen keeps sleeping in the nesting box. I normally close up the nesting boxes but I forgot to recently but we've never had any of our birds sleep in there.
She's eating and drinking normally. I checked her poop to make sure and it was normal. Her weight is good. I also checked in case she was egg bound but she's not. She's not going broody either. She just keeps sleeping in the nesting box at night even when I put her on the roosts. She's one of our more dominant hens so there's no pecking order issue.

What could be wrong with her??

We have a lot of roosts in there so she has plenty of room.
She just quietly makes noise like she's complaining before hopping down and going back into the nesting box before I can close it.
Has she ever gone broody before?
I'm just wondering if this is her first time and she isn't quite sure what it all entails. Normally when a pullet/hen goes broody for me for the first time, they can be easily broken because they don't quite know what broody is but after the first time, it is tougher to break the broodiness.

Has she ever gone broody before?
I'm just wondering if this is her first time and she isn't quite sure what it all entails. Normally when a pullet/hen goes broody for me for the first time, they can be easily broken because they don't quite know what broody is but after the first time, it is tougher to break the broodiness.
Never. Even when we were having multiple hens going broody every year, she has never gone broody at all.
She's not showing the signs of going broody.

Never. Even when we were having multiple hens going broody every year, she has never gone broody at all.
She's not showing the signs of going broody.
Other than the broody idea, she kind of acts like my pullet acted this autumn, it was her first time going broody... I have no other idea as to what may be wrong. I hope more answers come.

Back
Top Bottom