Possible Lash Egg

GirlsHuntToo

Professional Chicken Chaser
Jul 18, 2023
The Keystone State
I let my chickens out this morning and Jeanette - My ISA Brown chicken - laid a lash egg. I know, yes, it is common for ISA Brown hens to have egg laying issues later on in their lives but I have never seen anything like this before in my 5 years of keeping chickens. Jeanette has been going down hill pretty fast over the last 3 days or so and I might have to put her down before she gets any worse.
But anyway, I wasn't able to get a picture because the other chickens were trying to eat it, but I was able to call off the hungry troops to be able to get a good look. It almost looked like when you make deviled eggs and the yolk that is in the middle - kind of looking like that. I scooped it up with my poop scoop shovel and got a better look at it. I cut it open with a stick that I found and it looked like some tan - almost like squiggly and it was firm and pasty. Then when I was finished looking I threw it into the weeds behind the chicken coop - out of the chickens run!!
Again, I was unable to get a picture - but I am just going use this image for reference because it looked just like that.
1701180131206.png
1701180175162.png

So I have three questions about this:

1. The other hens ate some of the lash egg. Will they be okay??
2. Is there anything I can do for Jeanette??
3. What exactly does a lash egg mean?? What is happening to my hen??

Attachments

• 1701180143309.png
    1701180143309.png
    137 KB · Views: 7
Lash eggs or material is caused by salpingitis or inflammation of the oviduct in hens. The lash material may form inside the abdomen when an egg is released into the abdominal cavity instead of going down the oviduct to the cloaca and out of the vent. Many people never see a lash egg, either because they are eaten by the chickens, or they are seen inside the abdomen when a necropsy/autopsy is done. Many times a bacterial infection, with E.coli, mycoplasma, or other bacteria can be a cause. Lash eggs can become stuck, just as normal egg binding can occur. The presence of lash eggs inside the abdomen is a cause of egg yolk peritonitis. Though many people use an antibiotic to help treat this, it usually is not successful, and the condition eventually leads to death. However, a hen may live some time having a normal life with the condition. An expensive hormone implant done by few vets can be one way to help stop ovulation and stop the production. This is a common condition in hens over 2 years.

Lash eggs or material is caused by salpingitis or inflammation of the oviduct in hens. The lash material may form inside the abdomen when an egg is released into the abdominal cavity instead of going down the oviduct to the cloaca and out of the vent. Many people never see a lash egg, either because they are eaten by the chickens, or they are seen inside the abdomen when a necropsy/autopsy is done. Many times a bacterial infection, with E.coli, mycoplasma, or other bacteria can be a cause. Lash eggs can become stuck, just as normal egg binding can occur. The presence of lash eggs inside the abdomen is a cause of egg yolk peritonitis. Though many people use an antibiotic to help treat this, it usually is not successful, and the condition eventually leads to death. However, a hen may live some time having a normal life with the condition. An expensive hormone implant done by few vets can be one way to help stop ovulation and stop the production. This is a common condition in hens over 2 years.
Thank you for your help! I am thinking of putting the poor girl down because she really isn't doing well and my roosters are trying to attack her and even the other hens too.

Back
Top Bottom