Possible sick chicken; very sleepy

Amazonlover

Songster
10 Years
Oct 11, 2013
Maryland
Hi all,

I’m new to raising chickens and I have a 21 week old silver laced Wyandotte pullet that has been sleepy all day, and her tail is droopy.I brought a bowl of fermented feed out and the other 4 rushed over and started gobbling. She always hung back, because she’s shy of humans or anything new, but would eventually go for the treat after a bit. This time she seemed totally disinterested. And she keeps closing her eyes, like she’s napping while standing up. I have no idea what’s going on and am scared she’s sick. Has anyone had any experiences like this?

Last edited:
I’ll add that I picked her up and her crop is soft and feels empty, but I don’t sense any swelling or feel anything that seems obviously wrong (though I have not handled a lot of chickens). I have not been able to check her poop, since I can’t distinguish hers from the other chickens

I would say you need to isolate her, try to get her to drink some electrolyte water. Do you have more than one feeding station, maybe the others are keeping her from eating. Someone with more knowledge than me will post I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom