POSSIBLE SICK CHICKS. PLEASE ADVISE.

MaggieRose2001

Songster
Jun 27, 2021
Bangor, Maine
My Coop
My Coop
I just brought home baby chickens yesterday from a local farm. When they were in the box the whole way home, they weren’t chirping just huddled. I figured they were cold - it was a 2 hr drive.

At first I thought they were just cold and stressed from the ride home - but they aren’t snapping out of it. All they do is huddle and sleep. If they move or walk, they are wobbly and fall over. Instead of chirping they make wheezy gurgling noises and sneezing. They also stretch their neck and open their mouths. I am dipping their beaks in nutridrench as well as apple cider vinegar water. They are eating and drinking - but mostly just sleeping.

But from what I’ve googled - I think they have brooder pneumonia or a respiratory illness. I could be wrong because I’ve never dealt with this. The only thing I can find on the internet is prevention and nothing about cure.

I’m concerned because I don’t want them getting the rest of my baby chicks sick - I have them separated and in their own brooder for now. I’ve also read that once a chicken is sick even if they get better - they remain more susceptible to illness and disease and effect the whole flock.

Do I keep the chicks. How do I know if it is serious or nothing to be concerned about. Thanks for your help.

I'm not a chicken person, so I'm hoping some chicken people will chime in. It sounds like they need antibiotics, or at least that they couldn't hurt. The chicken people will have to tell you which one and how to administer.

No, they are doing better. Thank you though. I kept them in a separate brooder, gave them vetrx. I alternated apple cider vinegar and oregano oil in their water and I added dried peppermint and turmeric to their feed. They all recovered. However - they are much smaller than my other chickens so I don’t know if the sickness stunted their growth or if it is just their breed.

Thank you again for checking in - I appreciate it.

No, they are doing better. Thank you though. I kept them in a separate brooder, gave them vetrx. I alternated apple cider vinegar and oregano oil in their water and I added dried peppermint and turmeric to their feed. They all recovered. However - they are much smaller than my other chickens so I don’t know if the sickness stunted their growth or if it is just their breed.

Thank you again for checking in - I appreciate it.
Oh I am so glad to hear they are doing better! Do you know what breed they are? Could they be a Bantam?

Oh I am so glad to hear they are doing better! Do you know what breed they are? Could they be a Bantam?
No - I got them from a local farm and I saw the parents. They aren’t bantam. I am curious to see if they eventually catch up in growth or if they permanently stay smaller and how that effects their egg laying. It’s a shame too because they are really beautiful.

u got a pic of the chick'ons? i love pics of pretty chicks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my procelains give me goose bumps lol.

Attachments

• DE1FE082-EE03-4DD0-AEA7-674D0D26CB13.jpeg
    DE1FE082-EE03-4DD0-AEA7-674D0D26CB13.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • C83C0F13-5ED7-452D-8643-D33EEF0DE303.jpeg
    C83C0F13-5ED7-452D-8643-D33EEF0DE303.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
u got a pic of the chick'ons? i love pics of pretty chicks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my procelains give me goose bumps lol.
The sick chickens are olive eggers - they are the cloudy gray ones with yellow heads. The pictures don’t show it very well - but it’s like their legs forgot to grow. Maybe they will become their own special bread of bantam. 🤗

Back
Top Bottom