Possible sour crop?

mimifw03

In the Brooder
May 2, 2022
My chickens (7.5 weeks old) are currently on Tylan (in their water) for an upper respiratory thing. Several had started sneezing quite a bit and shaking their heads soon after we moved them outside so we went to the vet. We had a bit of a cold front come through and maybe they got a little chilly. We are on day 4 of antibiotics. They're supposed to be on it for a total of 10 days. Now, I have one with a significantly soft/squishy crop. Several others have somewhat soft crops, but not like this one. I know antibiotics can cause sour crop. This morning, her crop was much smaller than last night, but I could still feel it and it was still soft. The cold front is over and now it is very hot here in Texas and I noticed they are drinking WAY more water the last few days. Is it possible that the excess water consumption is making it soft or is it more likely sour crop? They are all acting fine, eating and drinking, pooping normally. We go back to the vet in a few days for a follow-up so I can take that one in with me to see what he thinks. Just didn't want to wait until then if it's something I need to address at home now. TIA!

Tylan or tylosin is usually given for 3-5 days. Viruses do not respond to antibiotics, and some respiratory diseases such as infectious bronchitis, are viral. Tylan treats MG. The crop may just be slow in emptying. I have never seen a chick with sour crop. I would check it again in early morning after not eating or drinking all night long. Are they getting chick starter/grower feed now? Do you have any chick-size grit available? Do you notice a sour or bad odor from the beak?

Tylan or tylosin is usually given for 3-5 days. Viruses do not respond to antibiotics, and some respiratory diseases such as infectious bronchitis, are viral. Tylan treats MG. The crop may just be slow in emptying. I have never seen a chick with sour crop. I would check it again in early morning after not eating or drinking all night long. Are they getting chick starter/grower feed now? Do you have any chick-size grit available? Do you notice a sour or bad odor from the beak?
Thank you for your feedback! The vet didn't do any testing so I have no idea if it is a bacterial thing or a virus. The antibiotics do seem to be helping though. They get chick feed and I do mix some chick grit in their food. They didn't seem interested in the grit when I gave it to them separately so I just started mixing it in with their chick feed. I have not noticed a bad odor, but her beak is closed every time I'm trying to smell.

Our vet appointment is Wednesday. I'm going to try to get it moved it up to Tuesday. Should I wait until then to see what the vet says or should I act now? I hate to separate her and withhold food if that's not actually what she needs, but I also don't want to sit back and let her get worse.

I would not separate her or ever withhold food or water. Are they going all night long without food and water, and sleeping? Continue to check the crop in early morning before they are able to eat and drink. Don’t mix the chick grit in food, but just keep a small amount in a separate container. They will take what they need.

I would not separate her or ever withhold food or water. Are they going all night long without food and water, and sleeping? Continue to check the crop in early morning before they are able to eat and drink. Don’t mix the chick grit in food, but just keep a small amount in a separate container. They will take what they need.
isnt this the treatment for sour crop, though? Keeping them on water but removing the food for a period of time? From my understanding it goes through stages of starving the infection, flushing the system through. Then reintroducing certain foods slowly, like egg and yoghurt, before getting back onto food?

Yes, they go all night without food or water and sleep just fine. I believe, for sour crop, you are supposed to separate them and withhold food for 24 hours (still have water) and then introduce yogurt and eggs, but no carbs.

isnt this the treatment for sour crop, though? Keeping them on water but removing the food for a period of time? From my understanding it goes through stages of starving the infection, flushing the system through. Then reintroducing certain foods slowly, like egg and yoghurt, before getting back onto food?
Yes, this is what I've always heard too. I'm just not sure sour crop is actually what's going on since I'm new to the chicken world. It appears to be that, but I may wait to see what the vet recommends first.

Back
Top Bottom