Possible spraddle leg?

KrisPorterFarm

Chirping
Sep 23, 2022
I have a batch of chicks that hatched Monday. They arrived on Tuesday. I lost my Welsummer chick and I am worried about my little cream legbar. She is so tiny. She seems to have a good appetite. She will eat and drink but likes to stay under the brooder plate. I have noticed that she seems sort of wobbly and will hold one leg out to the side. Could this be spraddle leg or does she just need a boost? The chicks have had vital plus in their water since arrival. They also had grogel plus. She seems more reserved and not as hyper as the other chicks. She doesn't seem sick per se, just less inclined to mingle with the others. She is my smallest chick and will not push the others aside to eat or drink.

I'd make sure she's eating well and staying hydrated.
If she's super tiny, then grinding up the chick starter may make it easier for her to eat.

Get some vitamins into her that contain B2 Riboflavin.

Hard to know if she has spraddle leg or not. Take a look at this article/video below, it has some good info

https://the-chicken-chick.com/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it/

I doesn't look that severe but she would favor one leg and splay the other. I have b vitamin complex liquid that I can give her. It is for humans. I also made a vet wrap hobble for her last night. She is standing on both legs now. She was not a fan at first but seems to be comfortable enough. She is the smallest of the batch so I am watching her carefully to make sure she can get to the feed and water.

Back
Top Bottom