Possible Vent Gleet in chick

HollyParks

Chirping
Sep 30, 2023
I only have one chick who had pasty butt. I cleaned her up, got her mostly dry and put her back in the brooder. Her crop looked a little unusual but it seemed fine and now it’s back to normal. She’s still active but now stands with her eyes closed. Her vent is leaking white and is constantly wet and dirty despite me cleaning her up. I saw her “drooling” water and she shook her head.
I’ve given her some plain Greek yogurt with a little water just to her beak, though I do have chick starter crumble as well as ground eggshells in the brooder.
I’ve never seen this in a chick before and none of the others are showing any signs. My brooder is indoors and I keep it very clean and the water clear. What else can I do for her?

Attachments

• A88ECAE3-7D8C-4AC9-B780-0D3EE40380FA.jpeg
    A88ECAE3-7D8C-4AC9-B780-0D3EE40380FA.jpeg
    304.6 KB · Views: 12
  • CC01FF42-4AAA-4918-B6EE-ED9BC891DC2E.jpeg
    CC01FF42-4AAA-4918-B6EE-ED9BC891DC2E.jpeg
    345.1 KB · Views: 6
Wow, that first picture almost does look like vent gleet but doubtful it could have that low of flora in its system at such a young age. I guess what else explains the leaking of white stuff though. Maybe try putting some Monistat ointment on her butt.

The Greek Yogurt was a great idea. I would also get some powder probiotic/electrolytes for their water. We use Hydro-Hen but there's Sav A Chick and several others that do the same. You can give that to them all day every other day.

I'm not sure why the ground egg shells in the brooder though. I've never heard of it myself. It's not like she needs calcium right now. Maybe you have heard of a reason for it I haven't so just wondering.

Back
Top Bottom