Possibly egg bound... or something else?

If she is pooping, she probably is not egg bound. Did you insert s clean finger into her vent 1-2 inches? Can you feel anything in the canal? Has she been laying eggs recently? Sometimes you can feel other things inside the abdomen through the skin, such as lash egg masses, the gizzard, tumors etc.

Yeah, they hate taking pills. Make sure she's well hydrated.
If she is pooping, she probably is not egg bound. Did you insert s clean finger into her vent 1-2 inches? Can you feel anything in the canal? Has she been laying eggs recently? Sometimes you can feel other things inside the abdomen through the skin, such as lash egg masses, the gizzard, tumors etc.
I did insert my finger and it felt like an egg was in her; it had a rounded, hard end like an egg. I do not know if she's been laying eggs before all of this ^ came about. I was getting a double yolker at one time this winter and that abruptly stopped. Figured it may have been her. All my girls lay darker brown eggs and despite my leghorn who lays a lighter shade.

Has she pooped today? Is she eating and drinking? Instead of soaking her you could keep her on a warm towel in a warm moist room or low heating pad.

Has she pooped today? Is she eating and drinking? Instead of soaking her you could keep her on a warm towel in a warm moist room or low heating pad.
She has pooped a little today and she is eating on her own, but not drinking as much. And okay, I will try that. She is still hunching over and staying quiet when around the other chickens. Something is def going on with her; I'm just not sure what...

Oh and she did have green diarrhea a couple days ago, but now her poop looks normal. Not sure if that would suggest a specific issue...

Sometimes it is hard to diagnose what is exactly wrong. A vet in your are possibly could do a fecal float to look for worms and coccidiosis if you could take in some droppings. But call first. My regular vet is willing to do that, but some won’t unless they see the chicken. You can mix small amounts of chicken feed with a lot of water and a bit of plain yogurt to get more fluids and some probiotics in her.

Sometimes it is hard to diagnose what is exactly wrong. A vet in your are possibly could do a fecal float to look for worms and coccidiosis if you could take in some droppings. But call first. My regular vet is willing to do that, but some won’t unless they see the chicken. You can mix small amounts of chicken feed with a lot of water and a bit of plain yogurt to get more fluids and some probiotics in her.
We don't have a vet around here that will do that, especially since Covid hit; takes a long time to see the vet for typical things. But I can try the yogurt idea. I do have her back in the house for now, so that nothing gets passed to the other chickens, just in case. As of now, the others are acting/looking healthy.

Hey, so after giving her yogurt and making sure she stayed hydrated, she is no longer having diarrhea. I'm hoping to get feedback if her poop looks normal now or not... it still is green. I had the heat lamp on for a few days (temps here have been crazy cold and we are not used to it) and I think that may have impacted her as well.

Attachments

• E148F872-1B04-48E5-A5E9-3FC6D66E0E64_1_201_a.jpeg
    E148F872-1B04-48E5-A5E9-3FC6D66E0E64_1_201_a.jpeg
    768 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom