Possibly sick chicken

Karab819

Chirping
Apr 27, 2021
I have one chicken about 19 weeks old who appear to be bloated bigger than her flock mates all the same age, the crop also seems large and hard (I've done some reading on impacted crop) . She is eating and drinking and moving around but lays down in the run on the ground most of the time. She is also the only one of 11 that is suddenly sleeping on the ground while the others are roosting. She also kind of appears to be having a hard time swallowing. Been happening for the last day or two and not really sure where to start. Should she be separated, does this sound serious? First year with chickens. We also don't have a vet nearby that treats chickens. I don't have any photos or videos at the moment.

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink - see if it's empty.
IF it's not empty in the morning, then begin treating according to the article below.

You mention she's sleeping on the ground instead of roosting - have you checked her over for lice/mites, is she getting picked on, any leg bruising/injury.

She's "bloated" - can you tell us where she's bloated - is it the crop, her abdomen or does her whole body look bloated/fluffed up?

Photos of her poop and of her may be helpful as well when you can get them.

Also - how long have you had her and what does she eat?

Back
Top Bottom