*Possibly* Sick turkeys?

Orthodad

Hatching
Aug 15, 2023
This is our first year doing turkeys. We had five broad breasted bronze, and five broad breasted whites. We lost one bronze as a poult (figured stress? It was day after delivery). At six weeks old they were rapidly outgrowing their brooder (they grow fast!) and so we moved them onto pasture, with a 'turkey shaw' (Justin Rhodes' design) behind an electric fence.

Today they are eight weeks old. Last week we noticed one bronze sort of lagging behind the others, not seeming to care to be with the flock, walking sort of slow. The others rush to the fence when we approach - this one would stay sitting in the shade and then maybe meander over. We found it dead on Thursday. One bronze had flapped hard against the cage when we were moving them when we brought them to pasture, and we thought it maybe was this one and it just didn't recover or an infection set in, though I couldn't see any injuries (but rigor had set in).

Today we noticed another bronze starting to sort of lag behind. Doesn't rush the fence with the others. I've seen him eat and drink, but sometimes he'll come over with the others and then sit down as soon as he's close enough to them. He's maybe slightly smaller than the others but not smaller that I would've noticed really if it weren't for the other things. I have pictures but it's a little hard to tell the size difference because he's sitting back a ways. I've not seen any sneezing, discharge, unusual poop, or coughing.

They've been fed DuMore 30% protein feed, soon to switch to flock raiser. They also get grit, and table scraps just like our chickens. We just bought the house in June, but I don't believe the last owner had any other animals on the pasture. I know last year they'd planted corn. The turkeys of course have water, though we did find some algae in it when we went to top it off a day or two ago. We've never had that problem before so are looking into solutions. Could that be causing this? They drink well water from the hose. I did add some apple cider vinegar to the water to try to keep algae at bay and maybe help the slower one.

...I don't even know necessarily if he's sick, but it sort of is mimicking the last one who died. Part of me wonders if we should slaughter it now and make sure we don't lose the investment...but he could potentially grow much larger. I'm also concerned with fixing whatever the issue is, if there is one, and this not getting to the other birds. Any thoughts or advice? Are bronze known to generally be weaker?

Attachments

• IMG_7467.jpg
    IMG_7467.jpg
    791.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7466.jpg
    IMG_7466.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7465.jpg
    IMG_7465.jpg
    869.7 KB · Views: 11
This is our first year doing turkeys. We had five broad breasted bronze, and five broad breasted whites. We lost one bronze as a poult (figured stress? It was day after delivery). At six weeks old they were rapidly outgrowing their brooder (they grow fast!) and so we moved them onto pasture, with a 'turkey shaw' (Justin Rhodes' design) behind an electric fence.

Today they are eight weeks old. Last week we noticed one bronze sort of lagging behind the others, not seeming to care to be with the flock, walking sort of slow. The others rush to the fence when we approach - this one would stay sitting in the shade and then maybe meander over. We found it dead on Thursday. One bronze had flapped hard against the cage when we were moving them when we brought them to pasture, and we thought it maybe was this one and it just didn't recover or an infection set in, though I couldn't see any injuries (but rigor had set in).

Today we noticed another bronze starting to sort of lag behind. Doesn't rush the fence with the others. I've seen him eat and drink, but sometimes he'll come over with the others and then sit down as soon as he's close enough to them. He's maybe slightly smaller than the others but not smaller that I would've noticed really if it weren't for the other things. I have pictures but it's a little hard to tell the size difference because he's sitting back a ways. I've not seen any sneezing, discharge, unusual poop, or coughing.

They've been fed DuMore 30% protein feed, soon to switch to flock raiser. They also get grit, and table scraps just like our chickens. We just bought the house in June, but I don't believe the last owner had any other animals on the pasture. I know last year they'd planted corn. The turkeys of course have water, though we did find some algae in it when we went to top it off a day or two ago. We've never had that problem before so are looking into solutions. Could that be causing this? They drink well water from the hose. I did add some apple cider vinegar to the water to try to keep algae at bay and maybe help the slower one.

...I don't even know necessarily if he's sick, but it sort of is mimicking the last one who died. Part of me wonders if we should slaughter it now and make sure we don't lose the investment...but he could potentially grow much larger. I'm also concerned with fixing whatever the issue is, if there is one, and this not getting to the other birds. Any thoughts or advice? Are bronze known to generally be weaker?
Coccidiosis is a possibility.

Coccidiosis is a possibility.

You started me on a google search, and I could see many symptoms lining up but hadn't seen any physical proof. Nevertheless we were going to get some corrid.

Well today we saw bloody poop so your diagnosis seems very likely. He's started corrid on 'severe infection' dosage in isolation, and the whole flock will be treated as well. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom