Posting & Forum Etiquette

HenHappy

Songster
12 Years
Feb 16, 2007
on my way to you....
I would love some feedback from some "oldtimers" on do's and don'ts for forum posting. I noticed someone apologising in a thread for Double Posting. I was unsure of what that is. Then I thought about how I just sort of jumped in and did not really know the "unspoken rules" so to speak. Is there things us newbies should keep in mind while yaking away?

Some questions:

Restrictions on the length of a post?
Dropping a line in your own post to put it back on the index screen in case no one answered you yet?
Use of someone's personal name instead of screen name?
Slang word use? (I don't know why, but I like typing" Thang" instead of "Thing")

Anything else I should be aware of?

At the top of the forum, there is a link to "Rules"
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/misc.php?action=rules

For some of what you have there... There are no restrictions on length of a post, but keep in mind if a post goes on and on, you might lose your audience.

Replying to yourself is called "bumping" and I think is addressed in the rules. Sometimes people don't answer because they don't know the answer, but if you don't get a reply after several days, then post again.

I personally don't use someone's real name unless they post it first, or sign their name on their post.

Slang is fine, as long as it is not offensive, a slur, profanity, etc and suitable for a family board.

smile.png

Thank you terrielacy:)

I remember reading it before, but I had forgotten the bumping thang. Sometimes it pays to be a little careful, and gosh knows I'm Canadian! I HAVE to be polite at all times! Our reputation is at stake LOL! I've noticed in situations where there is a lot of people at once who are used to each other, it can be easy to put a claw down wrong and I just wanted to make sure I don't make a mistake. If I don't throw this computer out the window, I'd like to be around long enough to be an OLD HEN!! TeeHee.

Thanks again!

Quote:
OK count me as a Canadian that was unware of that rule!

Double posting generally speaks of post in 2 areas of the board. If we find the doubles often one is deleted or one is moved to the right area where the other is, and you risk loosing some answers. It takes up board space and can bump other posts so generally not a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom