Poult looks like it’s shivering, and are these wings normal?

Solanacae

Crowing
Mar 10, 2021
Cache Valley, UT
Ok, so this is my first time raising turkeys and I have two questions.
1. I have three poults (about two weeks old) in a brooder that is outside in a small but well built coop. It recently turned rainy and so the ambient temperature has dropped, though they still have a warm area they can go to if they are cold and they are protected from drafts. One poult (the biggest and bossiest one) walks around and will shiver it’s wings on occasion. Do turkeys shiver because of cold, or is this one just a precocious little male doing a display for me? The smallest of the three (which I would think would be most prone to getting cold) doesn’t shiver, and the middle sized one occasionally shivers.
2. The primary feathers on the two BBW poults seem like they’re sticking out at an odd angle. They’re not flush with the body like I’m used to seeing with chickens. The pictures don’t really show how they appear to stick out further, sorry, but also wondering if this is normal. The BBB poult doesn’t have the same appearance - the primary feathers are flush against the body like what I’m used to seeing.

Attachments

• BE5EF0EA-8B9E-425D-8894-B872023DE9CC.jpeg
    BE5EF0EA-8B9E-425D-8894-B872023DE9CC.jpeg
    412.5 KB · Views: 44
  • CEA98315-F437-4930-8421-56201F0C55E2.jpeg
    CEA98315-F437-4930-8421-56201F0C55E2.jpeg
    416 KB · Views: 14
  • F3B35558-505B-4EA3-835B-FE276DEB8575.jpeg
    F3B35558-505B-4EA3-835B-FE276DEB8575.jpeg
    476.4 KB · Views: 14
Ok, so this is my first time raising turkeys and I have two questions.
1. I have three poults (about two weeks old) in a brooder that is outside in a small but well built coop. It recently turned rainy and so the ambient temperature has dropped, though they still have a warm area they can go to if they are cold and they are protected from drafts. One poult (the biggest and bossiest one) walks around and will shiver it’s wings on occasion. Do turkeys shiver because of cold, or is this one just a precocious little male doing a display for me? The smallest of the three (which I would think would be most prone to getting cold) doesn’t shiver, and the middle sized one occasionally shivers.
2. The primary feathers on the two BBW poults seem like they’re sticking out at an odd angle. They’re not flush with the body like I’m used to seeing with chickens. The pictures don’t really show how they appear to stick out further, sorry, but also wondering if this is normal. The BBB poult doesn’t have the same appearance - the primary feathers are flush against the body like what I’m used to seeing.
There is a difference between a turkey shivering and displaying. When shivering, they tend to lift one leg with the wings held tight against the body and the whole body shakes. When displaying they do this.
Blue_slate_turkey_Z5171811_05-17-2008-001.jpg

At the age of your poult, it is a dominance thing and can be done by males or females. It is not a guarantee that it is male but it might be.

It's wings look normal for a poult of that age.

There is a difference between a turkey shivering and displaying. When shivering, they tend to lift one leg with the wings held tight against the body and the whole body shakes. When displaying they do this.
View attachment 3075113
At the age of your poult, it is a dominance thing and can be done by males or females. It is not a guarantee that it is male but it might be.

It's wings look normal for a poult of that age.
That’s really helpful, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom