Poultry Coop/Housing Ideas?

IvysAnimals

Songster
Mar 30, 2022
Pennsylvania
Does anyone have ideas for houses big enough for 40+ poultry? I currently have Ducks, Geese and 1 chicken ( I hatch my friends chickens and got to keep one, so maybe we'll be getting more next spring. ) After a few of my ducklings passed, I have 40 right now. I need to build a new coop before winter here in PA, which can be very brutal some days. I have a 10 ft long and 50ft wide pen I keep them in with a 300 gal pond inside it. They get to "free range" during the day when I'm home, but in the pen when I'm not home or at night. There's more animals coming around at night and I hate that they stay up all night, scared and don't sleep until morning. We had an old house not long ago, but we recently got rid of it because rats got under it and it became too small for them, and didn't have enough air flow. We're looking for a house we can build that's large enough for them, raised off from the ground, plenty of air flow, easy to clean, big enough for us to walk into, and places for the chicken to perch and nesting areas/boxes for them. I'm looking to build my own and not purchase from stores. Sorry if this sounds like too much, but TIA! ☺️
Here's some pictures of my feather babies.

EDIT: the pictures aren't loading so I'll try later

Last edited:
Does anyone have ideas for houses big enough for 40+ poultry? I currently have Ducks, Geese and 1 chicken

For that many, I would probably start with a large shed, something like 16x16 or 12 x 24 feet, or maybe bigger yet.

Size will depend a bit on how many birds of each kind you have. I'm sure geese need more space each than ducks do, because they are so much bigger.

I don't know the space recommendations for ducks or geese, but the usual advice for chickens is 4 square feet each. I would figure on a lot more, maybe twice as much per bird, for the waterfowl.

Of course most sheds don't have enough ventilation, so plan on adding quite a few big windows (covered with hardware cloth to keep out predators.)

Back
Top Bottom