Poultry on a plane?!

lexilovee

In the Brooder
Oct 2, 2018
Ramat Gan
I’m not exactly sure where to post this, but I have a rather different question!
Within the next two years, I plan on making Aliyah(immigration) to Israel. I have a goose, a few ducks, chickens and a turkey- and can’t imagine leaving them behind! I’m so very attached to them! It doesn’t really make sense not to immigrate for the reason of keeping them- but it has crossed my mind! Does anyone know if it is possible/if so what the cost is to bring them along? I plan on living just outside of the city when I’m there, so they will have lots of space to forage!

Thank you in advance!!

The rules are different everywhere so it's hard to give you specific advice. I would say a good first step may be to contact a few of the airlines. Different airlines have different policies when it comes to live animals. There will also be rules of the country/location you are traveling to. I think the airline also can give you the appropriate phone number for someone at border/immigration/animal control who can supply you with the necessary information/paperwork/etc.

When we order chicks from hatcheries they come by plane.

As PirateGirl says, the thing to do is to check with the airline for their recommendations and restrictions and with the government of Israel to get theirs. If you establish that it's do-able then someone here will be able to tell you how to pack the birds. I know I've seen the specialty shipping boxes and the concentrated nutrition available for sale somewhere...

How long is the flight plus the time they'd be in the box through Customs and transport?

Probably trickier with grown birds than chicks -- or maybe they're more resilient -- but if you're mindful of and can accept the consequences then I wish you luck!

I’m not exactly sure where to post this, but I have a rather different question!
Within the next two years, I plan on making Aliyah(immigration) to Israel. I have a goose, a few ducks, chickens and a turkey- and can’t imagine leaving them behind! I’m so very attached to them! It doesn’t really make sense not to immigrate for the reason of keeping them- but it has crossed my mind! Does anyone know if it is possible/if so what the cost is to bring them along? I plan on living just outside of the city when I’m there, so they will have lots of space to forage!

Thank you in advance!!
Your poultry will have to be tested for various diseases and typically will have to spend a specified amount of time in quarantine once they reach Israel. All needed tests and permits must be taken care of prior to transporting your poultry.

USDA Export to Israel

https://embassies.gov.il/san-francisco/ConsularServices/Documents/Import-of-Animals.pdf

When we order chicks from hatcheries they come by plane.

As PirateGirl says, the thing to do is to check with the airline for their recommendations and restrictions and with the government of Israel to get theirs. If you establish that it's do-able then someone here will be able to tell you how to pack the birds. I know I've seen the specialty shipping boxes and the concentrated nutrition available for sale somewhere...

How long is the flight plus the time they'd be in the box through Customs and transport?

Probably trickier with grown birds than chicks -- or maybe they're more resilient -- but if you're mindful of and can accept the consequences then I wish you luck!

I’ve checked with the airlines and there is no maximum on poultry, but you do have to have an import license- which seems pretty doable! The flight is twelve hours, and on a normal day it takes approximately 3-4 hours in customs, there is no quarantine if you have an import license(due to prior health check). It makes me nervous, but I’m hoping it will all work out!

Back
Top Bottom