Power outage

kburruano

Chirping
Dec 1, 2021
So this isn't exactly chicken related but I don't know where else to find this information. I was going to hard boil eggs today, and when the water was pretty hot the power went out. I put them immediately in the fridge but the power was out for four hours. Are they safe to boil?

So, from a food-safe rule, it is possible that these were in the danger zone for those 4 hours (40F-140F) so I wouldn't serve this to customers or people with weakened immune systems just to be safe.

Another thing to consider is that the 4 hour rule assumes bacteria is able to get to the food. If the shell was intact, it is likely that the barrier stayed up the whole time and no bacteria got to the actual egg.

IMO, I say finish the boil and eat up as long as you feel comfortable with it.

So, from a food-safe rule, it is possible that these were in the danger zone for those 4 hours (40F-140F) so I wouldn't serve this to customers or people with weakened immune systems just to be safe.

Another thing to consider is that the 4 hour rule assumes bacteria is able to get to the food. If the shell was intact, it is likely that the barrier stayed up the whole time and no bacteria got to the actual egg.

IMO, I say finish the boil and eat up as long as you feel comfortable with it.
So even tho they were washed and in water the barrier was still intact?

Back
Top Bottom