Predator attack—lost 4 ducks—check your locks!

HennyPenny44

Songster
5 Years
Apr 3, 2019
Central New Jersey
This is a thread just advising everyone who has ducks or chickens to please double check your locks at night. I had 6 4-month-old Welsh Harlequin ducks and now I’m left with 2. Four of my girls were carried away, most probably by a fox, and I have one surviving female and one surviving male. The female has a minor injury but both are just very traumatized. I found my girl between the chickens‘ electric fence and duck run and my boy came out later from what appears to be from under the duck house. She’s depressed and he’s hyperventilating.

When I came to the duck house in the morning, I knew something was wrong because there was no quacking. I checked and the clean out door was wide open. I had cleaned out the whole house earlier that day but I guess I forgot to lock the locks in my haste and the predator either opened the door himself or the ducks, sleeping against the door as they often do, pushed it open, and the predator came.

In just 2 months, I already lost one escape hen to a fox, 1 hen to Salpingitis, gave away 2 drakes and now this. It’s making me seriously question whether I even want to raise birds anymore since I spent so much time and emotional energy raising these ducklings and I don’t know if I have the energy to do it again. They were so sweet. My remaining girl and boy are getting lots of cuddles now but I’m not sure if one girl is sufficient for one boy. Anyway, just wanted to share my story. Thanks for reading.

I’m so sorry 😢 don’t beat yourself up we all forget things at times but you are so right, double check all the locks .
I hope you come to a place of peace about it as you continue to care for your two ducks with extra love ❤️ and then add three or four more females If you can. we all learn from our mistakes you’ll probably never forget to check your locks again.

I’m so sorry 😢 don’t beat yourself up we all forget things at times but you are so right, double check all the locks .
I hope you come to a place of peace about it as you continue to care for your two ducks with extra love ❤️ and then add three or four more females If you can. we all learn from our mistakes you’ll probably never forget to check your locks again.
Thank you for your kind words.❤️ Yes, last night, I triple checked the locks and even barricaded the doors so the predators don’t scare my ducks trying to get in. It’s really discouraging but I have faith I’ll get over this in time.

Three nights ago, I forgot to close the door. My ducks are each in compartments made from folding dog pens that are joined together. They go in a 7.30ish and I close the dog pen but leave the door open until 8pm so they can see their food and water. I have my alarm set for 8pm to remind me. The next morning, while I was cleaning the wading pool, one of the muscovy drakes came up to see what I was doing. Had my husband let him out? No. I hadn't closed the door the night before. The dog pen was still closed. My most agile of the drakes climbed onto the one dog crate I have in the night sleeping arrangements, and from there over the dogpen and out the door. The others are too lazy and waited for me.

I was mortified. We have had a fox and a mama raccoon with 3 almost full grown kits in the garden or on the fence in the last month. I am really lucky that none came back that night. Sadly, you were not so lucky but like me you won't let it happen again. I am sad for you and your ducks, tinged with my own guilt. We all make mistakes and forget things. You should continue to raise ducks as you won't make the same mistake twice, and that traumatized little girl needs at least two female friends if not three.

Last edited:
Three nights ago, I forgot to close the door. My ducks are each in compartments made from folding dog pens thatcare joined together. They go in a 7.30ish and I close the dog pen but leave the door open until 8pm so they can see their food and water. I have my alarm set for 8pm to remind me. The next morning, while I was cleaning the wading pool, one of the muscovy drakes came up to see what I was doing. Had my husband let him out ? No. I hadn't closed the door the night before. The dog pen was still closed. My most agile of the drakes climbed onto the one dog crate I have in the night sleeping arrangements, and from there over the dogpen and out the door. The others are too lazy and waited for me.

I was mortified. We have had a fox and a mama raccoon with 3 almost full grown kits in the garden or on the fence in the last month. I am really lucky that none came back that night. Sadly, you were not so lucky but like me you won't let it happen again. I am sad for you and your ducks, tinged with my own guilt. We all make mistakes and forget things. You should continue to raise ducks as you won't make the same mistake twice, and that traumatized little girl needs at least two female friends if not three.
Yes, you had a close call and it was a matter of luck that night. I’m glad your ducks are ok. I would get grown ducks now just to even out the ratios but everyone who has ducks seems to want to sell them in male/female pairs, so I might have to order all females once again and raise them. Thank you for the advice and encouragement.❤️

So very sorry for your loss. :hugs
I have gotten up in the middle of the night and gone outside to make sure my coops are closed and locked. It's an awful feeling to wake up suddenly and think I may have forgotten to close the pop door.

Back
Top Bottom