Predator kills

OzarkEgghead

Songster
8 Years
Oct 8, 2015
This may be a gross & insensitive question so I apologize ahead of time. A free-ranging dog got hold of one of my hens 24 hrs ago. I was able to chase him off & he dropped her but she was obviously injured...large areas of missing feathers, several cuts & unable to stand on or move one leg. I tried nursing her back to health & was beginning to have some hope that she might survive when she died suddenly about 1 hr ago. From an emotional standpoint, would you consider preparing & consuming the meat? Is it safe to do so or should it be assumed that the meat is contaminated by infection from the bacteria in the dog's mouth & should not be consumed?

This may be a gross & insensitive question so I apologize ahead of time. A free-ranging dog got hold of one of my hens 24 hrs ago. I was able to chase him off & he dropped her but she was obviously injured...large areas of missing feathers, several cuts & unable to stand on or move one leg. I tried nursing her back to health & was beginning to have some hope that she might survive when she died suddenly about 1 hr ago. From an emotional standpoint, would you consider preparing & consuming the meat? Is it safe to do so or should it be assumed that the meat is contaminated by infection from the bacteria in the dog's mouth & should not be consumed?
No...I would not eat. She could have bacteria or parasites. Whenever I slaughter My roosters i let them bleed out. Have u ever slaughtered a bird before?

No...I would not eat. She could have bacteria or parasites. Whenever I slaughter My roosters i let them bleed out. Have u ever slaughtered a bird before?
I don't keep roosters & I normally allow my hens to live out their natural lives whether they're still laying or not. I figure it's a fair trade-off for producing all of those eggs for me for all those years.

Back
Top Bottom