Predators and Pests

Phlipi

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2022
We've just come into the bush turkey (native species) breeding season and my beautiful black australorp hen is mistaken for a female bush turkey. She is constantly chased around by the male turkeys who try to mate with her. I would like to pop the turkey between the eyes and heat the oven for a turkey dinner, but, being a native species, its protected and all I can do is squirt it with a hose. ($A 2000 fine for killing a native bird).

Apparently your birds need to be locked in for now, unless it's possible to fence your visitors out. Turkeys here fly just fine, so fencing isn't effective for them.
Mary
Yes, these turkeys are fifo (fly in fly out) They're usually active early morning so I keep the gals locked in their fox-proof coop for the early morning feed before letting them out. The turkeys (along with a myriad of pigeons, mynah birds etc) will eat the leftover feed (if any) So if I leave the gals in the cage until they finish, then let them out to forage for the rest of the day, then lock them up for the dusk feed, there's no leftover food for the vermin. I'm going to put up a vine frame on mesh over the run and coop this week-end so no more fifo vermin.

Back
Top Bottom