Predators and secured fencing/netting?

JuderBug

Hatching
Jul 7, 2023
Hello Everyone. I have had chickens for about 10 yrs. I also have ducks and a goose. Recently I was missing my harlequin male, my beloved little rooster and a very young baby chick. No trace. Then just yesterday I came home from work to find 2 piles of feathers.,I found to believe a hawk feather. Can anyone share with me their opinion on what they predator(s) may be? I’m am sick. They usually free range in my yard. I can keep them in their run but idk how do the proper protection for them if it is a hawk. Their run consists of a kennel panel, other fence and a coop which is taller than the fence and in middle of run. What can I do to protect them?! I’m scared to work tmrw. We had netting up last summer I believe but one of the birds got caught in it so down it went.

We have lots of aerial predators - hawks, owls, even a big flock of large crows - and so far hawk netting has kept them at bay. It's way up high (7 feet in most places) and so far none of my girls has flapped up that high, though some love to fly up and sit [and poop, of course] on top of the coop. No chicken entanglements so far, fingers crossed!

Probably in your case with the kennel run, Nuthatched's wire fencing would be workable and certainly stronger.

Back
Top Bottom