Privett Red Broilers?

PatS

Songster
10 Years
Mar 28, 2009
Northern Califonia
After having an excellent experience eating our dual-purpose roos, Id like to try some meaties. I'm interested in them as they will grow to harvest size more quickly. I don't want cornish x at this point. I've read a lot about the Freedom Rangers and a friend had a very positive experience with them last season.

Our feed store orders from Privett in New Mexico. They don't carry Rangers, but they do carry red broilers. I'm wondering if these are pretty much the same bird? For my initial foray into the world of meaties, I figure I'd start small, maybe 10 or 12 birds. (I've got the capacity to house that many without building anything new.)

Will the birds do some free ranging? (A feeder will be available as well.) If you've had any experience with Privett's red broilers, please chime in and let me know what you thought. Thanks!

I recommend Privett but have no experience with their red broilers. The red broilers I have are excellent but take about 12 weeks instead of 8 weeks.

Yes, I've heard the broilers are slower, and because of that are less likely to develop leg problems heart attacks, and so on. Did you pasture yours? I'm wondering if they're pastured as well as offered feed, what the feed conversion rate would be. Anyone?

Last edited:
I have done it both ways and penned up they grow faster but are better flavored with grass and bugs. Maybe a little tougher on the range. My feed conversion was 3 pounds of feed per pound of weight. I think.

Back
Top Bottom