processed my first chicken today

clap.gif
Yay for you! The first ones are always the most difficult. You'll learn something each time to make the next session easier.

The birds that can be processed at 8 weeks are those special hybrid Cornish Xs, and maybe some of those free-range broilers. I don't do my standards or mixed-breeds until 18-20 weeks, they're just too skinny before that. I haven't yet had one that was tough or bad tasting at that age.

I processed 5 birds today using the technique shown on the YouTube video titled "Chicken Processing on Custer Family Farm". They show an easy way to skin the birds and also an easy way to gut them. Even if you decide to pluck your birds you can still use their technique for cleaning out the carcasses. There really isn't any blood to deal with except what comes out when you slice their throats or chop off their heads. When you cut into the body cavity there is no blood to deal with.

If you put the birds in a cage with only water to drink, no food to eat & not even any grass to grab, there should be little to no contents in their crops or intestines.
droolin.gif
Enjoy your tasty & well-earned meals from these guys!
droolin.gif

Quote:
Thank you! Yeah my 12 weekers were skinny-honeslty 4 more crowing roos and feeding them another month just was a not a pleasant option in my mind-I might let the last roo grow another month but deff doing another one next weekend! I have 4 more 4-5 weeker roo's and their day is numbered too now that I know what to do:-( Just way too many roos this hatching year! I did however get breeding pairs that Im so excited about and cant wait!

Back
Top Bottom