Processed our Red Rangers Saturday

coloradoalice

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 21, 2011
We had 21 birds, 7 hens the rest roosters. They were 10 weeks and 3 days old at processing. Total dressed weight of 85 pounds and 13 ounces. The biggest bird was 4lb 12oz and the smallest was 3 pounds 4 oz. All but 8 were over 4 pounds. All in all I'm pretty happy. Cost of raising them (purchase price, feed, processing) was 324.25. So if I'm doing my math right that comes out to about $4 a pound. Not bad considering I'm happy with how they were raised and we really enjoyed them when they were here. They were nice friendly birds and I was surprised how easy it was to raise them, especially once we got them outside. We did lose 4 along the way and had some health scares I bought meds for but didn't include in the cost because I still have a ton of it left to use for future use.

I boiled a group of 3 yesterday for broth and shredded meat. It was the best smelling chicken I've ever boiled for that use, hands down. I put all the meat in the fridge last night and fed the dogs the edible scraps. I'll let you know what it tastes like when I make something with it but I have a feeling it will be delicious

Good for you! Have you processed before? I have heard that its easier ( both physically and mentally) if you batch everyone at once. Have you thought about keeping the hens and one roo to make your own chicks?

We paid a processor, this was our first go at raising meat birds and we lack the facilities or equipment for processing, plus we have a sensitive child who I knew was not going to be able to handle processing at home. It was easier to have it all just over and done with I think, I need to reset before thinking about doing meaties again! We didn't contemplate keeping any for chicks but we have thought about doing that with a dual purpose bird at some point.

We had 21 birds, 7 hens the rest roosters. They were 10 weeks and 3 days old at processing. Total dressed weight of 85 pounds and 13 ounces. The biggest bird was 4lb 12oz and the smallest was 3 pounds 4 oz. All but 8 were over 4 pounds. All in all I'm pretty happy. Cost of raising them (purchase price, feed, processing) was 324.25. So if I'm doing my math right that comes out to about $4 a pound. Not bad considering I'm happy with how they were raised and we really enjoyed them when they were here. They were nice friendly birds and I was surprised how easy it was to raise them, especially once we got them outside. We did lose 4 along the way and had some health scares I bought meds for but didn't include in the cost because I still have a ton of it left to use for future use.

I boiled a group of 3 yesterday for broth and shredded meat. It was the best smelling chicken I've ever boiled for that use, hands down. I put all the meat in the fridge last night and fed the dogs the edible scraps. I'll let you know what it tastes like when I make something with it but I have a feeling it will be delicious
Did you process yourself, or did you send out for processing. I was just wondering, since you mentioned processing in your cost analysis.

LOL>>>must have been typing this when you posted the previous post.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom