Processing sick birds

PulletMullet

In the Brooder
May 14, 2022
Hello all!! I am a first timer to processing meat chickens. I have had to do it over the course of several weekends and in between weekends, some of my meat birds started wheezing. I suspect they might have a virus or infection. We are raising them without antibiotics. I was wondering if it is I’ll-advised to process them while they are sick. Also, how should I treat them and how long should I wait before processing them?

Any other symptoms besides wheezing?
If by meat birds you mean Cornish cross, they can be prone to a number of health issues, especially if you free feed. I'm wondering if maybe they're just super heavy.

Any other symptoms besides wheezing?
If by meat birds you mean Cornish cross, they can be prone to a number of health issues, especially if you free feed. I'm wondering if maybe they're just super heavy.
Yes Cornish Rocks.They sneeze every once in awhile too. They are pretty heavy I think. The ones I have harvested so far have been 7-9 lbs. These are two weeks older now.

Process them before they keel over. Antibiotics in this case wouldn't help. I did use Broiler Booster, available from Murray McMurray, on my Cornish from start to finish. It is a vitamin electrolyte supplement formulated for meat birds. You put it in the water, and it really seems to help.

Back
Top Bottom