PROLAPSED VENT AFTER LAID FIRST EGG. VENT GLEET?

The_chik_hen_house

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2021
My hen just laid her first egg! Pullet sized.
Now she has a prolapse vent!
I soaked her for 20 mins in Epsom water(warm). And gently pushed it back in with some lubricant. I palpatated and did not feel another egg, nor did I while I pushed it back in. However it keeps popping out.
Now I am worried that she may have possible gleet, so I am offering her yogurt in small amounts. I do not smell any odor coming from her vent or mouth.
She isn't acting any different. And is currently preening her wet feathers.
I enclosed pictures of her vent, as well as a poo she relieved after I pushed her vent back in.
Can this be sometimes normal for first time layers to prolapse their vent on their first egg?
Any advice on keeping her vent in would be appreciated.
TIA!

Attachments

• 20210916_090645.jpg
    20210916_090645.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210916_092048.jpg
    20210916_092048.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 11
I soaked her for 20 mins in Epsom water(warm). And gently pushed it back in with some lubricant. I palpatated and did not feel another egg, nor did I while I pushed it back in. However it keeps popping out.
Now I am worried that she may have possible gleet, so I am offering her yogurt in small amounts. I do not smell any odor coming from her vent or mouth.
I enclosed pictures of her vent, as well as a poo she relieved after I pushed her vent back in.
Can this be sometimes normal for first time layers to prolapse their vent on their first egg?
TIA!
It's not surprising a first egg could cause a prolapse because they can be weird sizes, too small or too large.

Here's an article you can check out: https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

The key thing now I think is keeping her in the dark for more than 12 hours a day to help slow down her laying cycle and give her time to heal.

TIA!
Are you giving any form of calcium supplement for the ladies? Like oyster shells, or layer pellets?

I sprinkle ground up egg shells in their layer pellets every 2 days. I plan on getting oyster shells for free choice today,
I stopped using both eggshells, & layer feed.

One reason I stopped with layer, & eggshells, is that I wasn't having great results with egg shell thickness, plus I have roosters/cockerels with the flock.

Switching to free choice oyster shells is good idea, & I have better results with the oyster shell. It lasts longer, & I have very few thin shells.

The extra calcium also helps with the contractions to help the pullets, or hens lay eggs.

Back
Top Bottom