Prolapses valve after injury

Barb Root Hinkkanen

Songster
6 Years
Aug 19, 2017
Mississippi Gulf Coast
My sweet girl, Molly, was injured when Sinbad made her his favorite. Her skin is pushed back on both sides. We had a cold period and I kept them pretty closed up. I kept them warm and fed.

When it warmed up Molly was missing feathers. I thought she was molting but saw the feathers were actually broken. I made her an apron and while putting it on, saw the injuries. It looks like he just grabbed onto her skin and pulled it away from the flesh. She’s healing well. It was already starting to heal. It is not oozing: the skin is nice and pink and healthy looking. I am keeping the area clean. Daily cleaning and treatment with Vetricin. I’m giving her extra protein, and, gave her electrolytes for three days.

I have clipped back the feathers by the wounds. My concern is, where it is healing the skin is rolled back and there’s a lump of skin. The wound is scabbed over, there has been no discharge but there are feathers in the fold of the skin. I am keeping it clean. If I try to remove those feathers it will open the wound.

I separated her. She’s eating, drinking, and, chirping happily. She is still laying daily. I have noticed her eggs are much lighter in lighter in color but normal size. She does not seem to be under any stress: she is docile. When I pick her up, she cuddles up, and tucks her head in. She does not seem to be in pain, even when I am cleaning her.

Then today... I see her improving and am feeling better for the first time since Sunday. I clipped back some feathers, dressed her wounds, and checked her vent. I have been checking it daily.

It’s prolapsed. I didn’t know what to do so googled it. I clipped all the feathers around her vent. I bathed her in warm water with Epsom salts. She loved that. I thought she was going to sleep. I used Preparation H and eased it back in. I brought her inside. She’s been in the chicken condo by herself but now she’s in a big dog crate in the laundry room. I just checked in her and she is resting comfortably. I don’t want to lose her. She’s a beautiful Jubilee Orpington that I have raised since she was three weeks old. She’s about 11 months old now. I will not put her back with Sinbad.

I’m at a loss of what else to do. I am not ready to give up. As long as she is comfortable, eating, drinking, and pooping normally, I will give her a chance.

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
It would be very helpful to see pictures of the injuries you are describing. She has two different issues, or it's only the vent prolapse?

Both; she is sleeping in the laundry room. I will take pictures tomorrow.
I am happy to say she was chirping softly this morning. Her vent is swollen, but no longer prolapsed. After more researching this morning, I see that hydrocortisone cream is preferred over hemorrhoidal cream. I used the latter last night and gently pushed the prolapse back in.

What a difference a day makes! I have been diligently treating her wounds multiple times daily. This morning, while checking her out and giving her morning cuddles, it is apparent that it is healing. I can also see a bit more clearly. It looks like the feather I am concerned about is part of the scab and when it comes off, it will completely heal. If anyone had told me on Sunday, that she would be doing this well, it would have been hard of to believe. I am not as fearful as I was.

Everything out there tells about how resilient chickens are. Molly is a trouper and she is going to be okay. I wonder if her feathers will return to that area. As soon as it is completely healed she will get some designer chicken aprons. The first one I made was way too small. She is gorgeous Jubilee Orpington, so fluffy, and, she will shine again! She has such a sweet disposition.

Glad it's going well. Most often feathers do come back and cover the area of wounds. It just takes some time. For prolapse's I usually use Manuka honey. It's mildly anti bacterial, keeps it moist and helps with swelling. Some birds may prolapse once and never again, some are prone to it, so hopefully it will be a one time thing with her. Best of luck, if anything else comes up, let us know.

Glad it's going well. Most often feathers do come back and cover the area of wounds. It just takes some time. For prolapse's I usually use Manuka honey. It's mildly anti bacterial, keeps it moist and helps with swelling. Some birds may prolapse once and never again, some are prone to it, so hopefully it will be a one time thing with her. Best of luck, if anything else comes up, let us know.
She is doing great. She has not prolapsed again. She was laying but since I found her a little sister pullet, she hasn't laid. They are getting along well and both seem quite content. New Girl, yet to be named, can get to the top roost and Molly can't so she sleeps under her.

Back
Top Bottom