Proud of my roosters

SaltyHen

Songster
Nov 16, 2021
New Brunswick, Canada
A hawk flew overhead and my roosters immediately herded all the hens to the coop, orderly and quietly but quickly. Well, they didn't need to be told twice though, lol. 3 roosters — Ted, Bert, and Zest — then stood guard outside, including one cockerel (Bert) whose hormones haven't even kicked in yet (not crowing yet, tail not fully developed). A 4th rooster, Lemon, hid in the coop with the ladies though, lol.

This is my chickens' first predator "incident", and my first time witnessing this. I'm so impressed and proud! :woot

PS — Yup, I accidentally have way too many roosters. :( I'm on standby to either cull or seperate as soon as it becomes a problem.
20211208_140901.jpg
20211208_140915~2.jpg

Good job boys! A few weeks ago a hawk had my salmon faverolle on the ground and my cockerel attacked and chased it off! Definitely worth having around in my opinion.
I'm always so impressed when I hear stories like this.

My head rooster, Ted, also broke up a fight between the younger roosters just by running up to them and standing between. It was just chest bumping displays, never got serious, though maybe because Ted shut it down so quickly.

Please don't Cull- The more roosters the merrier! If it becomes a problem though, just re-home them - Just a friendly suggestion - not trying to bud in or anything.:D :D :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom