Pullet/baby chick keeps chasing one around

Cadnfar

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2023
2nd time raising chicks but first time this has happened, one of my brown sexlinks (so the only reason i assume shes a hen) started chasing my Wyandotte around today. I found her practically attached, and my Wyandotte already had bloody spots on her wings. Shes okay now, i took her inside to clean her up and do neosporin, but until now, when they finally stopped so i could type this up, the sexlink kept chasing her. And its only those two. The sexlink grew a lot faster than the others, despite being only a day older, and im not sure how i can keep her from picking on the other.
It got to be hotter than expected today, so im hoping it was just the heat making them ornery, but im worried that now that they have a taste for blood they'll keep at it

How old are they? Over heating will definitely make them more aggressive so if possible, lower the temp by several degrees if still in the brooder. Make sure they aren't cramped in and offer them at least 1 sq foot per chick. Give them things to do as well. Chicks get bored and go after eye balls, toes, feathers... I like to cut down a cereal box and put in dried leaves, alfalfa leaves, chick starter, a sprinkle of sand too.
DSCN1377.JPG

DSCN2637.JPG

Give them places to roost with 2x4s and branches from a tree outside. A mirror will entertain them too.
DSCN1378.JPG

And take them out to the coop for a field trip, this will burn energy otherwise turned toward each other.

Good luck with your chicks!

How old are they? Over heating will definitely make them more aggressive so if possible, lower the temp by several degrees if still in the brooder. Make sure they aren't cramped in and offer them at least 1 sq foot per chick. Give them things to do as well. Chicks get bored and go after eye balls, toes, feathers... I like to cut down a cereal box and put in dried leaves, alfalfa leaves, chick starter, a sprinkle of sand too.
View attachment 3518438
View attachment 3518453

Give them places to roost with 2x4s and branches from a tree outside. A mirror will entertain them too.
View attachment 3518440

And take them out to the coop for a field trip, this will burn energy otherwise turned toward each other.

Good luck with your chicks!
I replied and it got eaten apparently. The chicks are a little over 4 weeks old now, almost 5. They got too hot because their brooder is outside and I didn't catch that the sun had come out in time. There's 6 of them and they have 9 square feet.
I did end up taking your advice, I went to the petstore the next day and got them some parrot toys, since they're about that size. They also have a little baby run, and I was home yesterday so they were able to run for the whole day. There's still some chasing, but no more grabbing and following.
Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom