Pullet not accepted when raised by flock

mamasnowwolf

Chirping
Feb 23, 2021
In May, our Brodie hen hatched 2 eggs from a clutch of 7. After 3 days, she abandoned the rest of the eggs to care for the 2 little ones. The chicks grew up to be a pullet and a cockerel. We had to get rid of the cockerel lest the cock kill him. Things were already getting pushy. While the birds have a large space to get away from each other, it did appear the cock would search out the young male. This, of course, left the pullet with no siblings. It is unfortunate, but we did not have any other chicks hatch in that coop. I would have thought that her mom would still be watching out for her, but she is more or less a social outcast. Even when I throw scratch, the others will just walk towards her and she will run off. At night, she sleeps alone which worries me with the coming of winter. I know the flock clusters to stay warm, but she insists on sleeping in the nesting box, or in a corner, not with the flock. She is a Rhode Island Red mixed with Partridge Rock. A sweet little pullet that likes to be handled and has some beautiful feathers. I do have another coop with cock and 6 hens. I hesitate to re-home her, we had issues earlier when introducing show birds to the show cock. (long story) Last, I can also put her with a nearly blind cock once we get a coop for him. Right now, he lives in the basement, but will be evicted as soon as I get a coop built with him, and a companion in mind. Any suggestions? Will she eventually be accepted? I don't want to wake up to find a frozen pullet.
Thanks

Thanks all. I'll leave her in the coop. With winter coming, they will have to huddle together to stay warm anyway. Maybe she will be accepted because she adds to the heat.

I guess I also assumed that because she was raised by the flock, she's naturally be accepted

Thanks all. I'll leave her in the coop. With winter coming, they will have to huddle together to stay warm anyway. Maybe she will be accepted because she adds to the heat.

I guess I also assumed that because she was raised by the flock, she's naturally be accepted
She is really accepted; she just hasn't fully been merged into the pecking order or she is at the bottom. Like others said, as long as she isn't getting significantly outcasted/bullied or injured she will be ok. It is a little harder because she is the only one, if she would have one one more female hatch mate with her, you likely would see them togther as a sub flock until fully integrated.

I guess I also assumed because she was raised by the flock, she's naturally be accepted
My chicks were hiding in the coop during the day and refused to roost with the flock

Back
Top Bottom