Pullet possibly pee'd egg white

Bitofablonde

Songster
Apr 19, 2021
Beautiful north Texas
Hey all!

Ok so we have 10 pullets about 16.5 weeks old. We found one perfectly formed hard shelled egg the other night, no clue who laid it (but so exciting!! 😄😄). Last night during night checks I noticed 'Tomatoe' one of our blonde pullets acting odd so I sat at a distance in the run watching her and after about 10 mins she plopped out a soft shell egg, not uncommon for beginning to lay. So didn't think much of it.

Well tonight I was doing my night checks when I saw her acting oddly again; just standing perfectly still, wings slightly puffed out, when she eventually squatted instead of an egg it looked like she pee'd. But like thick egg white type substance. (Yes, I know chickens don't actually pee lol but that's what it looked like 😅) anywho, then she pecked at the ground in front of her and when she picked her head up it looked like liquid came out of her beak or nostril. (I was sitting about 10ft away)

She's acting normal now, after pecking at the ground for a few she went over to the oyster shell and started eating that, then back to the usual chicken business.

What do ya'll think?? Should I separate her to be safe or just see how things go tomorrow??

Any help is very much appreciated! Thank you!

Ps. She's also is one of the 10 who doesn't have as big of a comb or wattles. There are several others that are far more mature looking then her. All bought from tsc on the same day. Hoovers hatchery, color pack gals.

What breed?

Too late now but I might have put her in a crate overnight to make sure she expels any membrane left inside from that third 'egg'. Give her feed, water, and OS.

The water coming out of beak when she bent over is probably from overindulging in water, the crop spillith over.

What breed?

Too late now but I might have put her in a crate overnight to make sure she expels any membrane left inside from that third 'egg'. Give her feed, water, and OS.

The water coming out of beak when she bent over is probably from overindulging in water, the crop spillith over.
Thank you @aart For replying! I almost put her in an xl dog crate over night. I may do that this morning at least for a bit.

I wondered if the leakage from the mouth was from too much water, we are having a heat wave currently in western WA and it was at least 90 yesterday, suppose to be 100-106 today and tomorrow, so I have been putting extra water in the run and salad in a water as well for them. To try and make sure they can cool off and are getting enough water.

They are cream legbar mixes, of some kind. 7 out of 10 have a 'mohawk'. I honestly was a bit surprised to see them laying already, I thought we had more time to wait.

This is her in the box the other morning

Attachments

• 20210621_112140.jpg
    20210621_112140.jpg
    652.7 KB · Views: 6
I wondered if the leakage from the mouth was from too much water, we are having a heat wave currently in western WA and it was at least 90 yesterday, suppose to be 100-106 today and tomorrow, so I have been putting extra water in the run and salad in a water as well for them. To try and make sure they can cool off and are getting enough water.
Salad...typo?
Electrolytes and huge ice blocks work well here during heat waves.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-extreme-weather-spiel.75893/

Haha yes, 🤦‍♀️😄 salad or greens/veggies in large dog bowl filled with water. They like to peck it out of the water, and the ducks who share the space prefer there treats that way.

I actually have some electrolytes, I will look at adding those.

Thanks!

Haha yeah 🤣 I used to do 2 separate greens/veggies bowls but them noticed the pullets eating out of the ducks one, so I gave up lol

Side note, cleaning the coop this am and found this, it's a soft shell egg that was either squashed or pecked to death. It was on the top of the bedding. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20210626_070457.jpg
    20210626_070457.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom