Pullets have stopped laying? Change in food?

MochaChickMama

Songster
Apr 4, 2020
Upstate SC
Six of my seven pullets have been laying daily for around a month now. I typically get 4-6 eggs a day. All of a sudden, everyone has stopped. I got one egg from one yesterday, and the day before one from my leghorn. The only thing that has changed for them has been their food. I got the same brand/type, I always do (Dumor Layer Crumble) and I noticed the packaging had changed. Perhaps the formula has changed too? Has anyone noticed this as well? A friend recommended I give them plain yogurt. I haven't yet, but is there anything else I could do? This new bag has been in there for 6 days, and it has been 4 days of next to no eggs. Thanks!

Sometimes when manufacturers change the packaging it is possible the formula has changed but usually not by much. You would know if the formula had changed by familiarizing yourself with the guaranteed analysis tag which always lists the percentages of crude protein, lysine, methionine, crude fat, crude fiber, calcium phosphorus, salt, sodium, vitamin A and vitamin D3.
Some manufacturers of higher quality feed will list assay results of other nutrients even though they aren't required. The same tag also contains the complete list of ingredients in order of their quantity therein. There are also feeding instructions.
One should always pay attention to what the protein and calcium levels at a minimum in feed one buys. And one should always check the mill date as well.

However, I wouldn't think the feed change, if it is a change is the cause.

Most likely, since it is September, it is related to the change in day length vis a vis daily dark period.
How old are your birds? Are you seeing any molting? (lots of feathers around)

Last edited:
They are 22 weeks old. They already went through what I believe to be a juvenile molt about 2 months ago, it was covered out there. Our EE who has not started laying, is having hers I think finally. She's the only one dropping feathers around. That's interesting about the dark period, would they not just lay later in the day vs not at all? Everyone has usually laid in the nest box by lunchtime typically.

ETA: Well I've just read about the fall situation,newbie here, I was not expecting them to stop laying so soon after starting due to the season. We are in the south, and I've not really noticed much change in the light yet and my friends with chickens here are still laying as normal. It still just feels a little strange.

Last edited:
On June June 21, your day length was 14 hours, 35 minutes. Now you are at 12 hours, 45 minutes. Tomorrow will be two minutes shorter. The chickens detect that gradual decrease (or increase after winter solstice) through their pineal gland and with decreasing day length, that is a signal to produce hormones telling the organs to stop producing. After winter solstice, the opposite thing happens.
Usually, pullets will lay right through their first fall and winter, which your birds likely did. But a bird's second autumn and each thereafter, they will take a break from production.

On June June 21, your day length was 14 hours, 35 minutes. Now you are at 12 hours, 45 minutes. Tomorrow will be two minutes shorter. The chickens detect that gradual decrease (or increase after winter solstice) through their pineal gland and with decreasing day length, that is a signal to produce hormones telling the organs to stop producing. After winter solstice, the opposite thing happens.
Usually, pullets will lay right through their first fall and winter, which your birds likely did. But a bird's second autumn and each thereafter, they will take a break from production.

This is their first fall/winter.

And thank you for the information, I’ll keep that in mind next year. I’m still surprised and think there must be a reason pullets that have only laid for 4-6 weeks have stopped already.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom